What's new

Access 2nd router through network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RVFmal

New Around Here
Probably a noob oversight, but here goes.

I have a small home network consisting of Router 1 (with Fibre Internet) Asus DSL-AC52U and Router 2 TP-Link Archer D5 AC1200

Router 1 is main router with IP 192.168.1.1 ; 255.255.255.0

Router 2 is installed in another building to provision internet access without access to Router 1 building LAN. It is connected to Router 1 by WAN port with IP configured to 192.168.1.81, 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway 192.168.1.1.

Router 2 LAN is configured in another IP range 10.0.0.1 ; 255.255.255.0

What I am battling with is accessing router 2 on the router 1 network (for troubleshooting without the need to go to 2nd house).

I'm not familiar with TP-Link devices but looking at chapter 13.6 of the manual it looks like you need to enable Remote Management at Advanced > System Tools > Administration > Remote Management.

Last edited:
Similar to another post I just made for someone else, why not put the routers on the same subnet (192.168.1.x) and use the LAN port instead of the WAN port on router 2?

Similar to another post I just made for someone else, why not put the routers on the same subnet (192.168.1.x) and use the LAN port instead of the WAN port on router 2?
To ensure that the 2 networks are seperate and devices/users on Router 2 network do not have access to devices on Router 1 network (security camera's, alarm system etc)

To ensure that the 2 networks are seperate and devices/users on Router 2 network do not have access to devices on Router 1 network (security camera's, alarm system etc)
But the way you have it setup at the moment all clients on Router 2's network can access any device on Router 1's network (depending on each devices' own security settings).

Hmmm, my understanding was that given router 2's difference in IP range, that they could not access devices in the router 1 range. Clearly I have a lot to learn.

Hmmm, my understanding was that given router 2's difference in IP range, that they could not access devices in the router 1 range. Clearly I have a lot to learn.
From the perspective of Router 2 everything connected upstream of its WAN interface is "the internet". It doesn't matter whether the destination is one hop away or 50. It doesn't matter whether the destination IP address is 192.168.1.50 or 8.8.8.8, it's all "the internet" as far as the router is concerned.

From the perspective of Router 2 everything connected upstream of its WAN interface is "the internet". It doesn't matter whether the destination is one hop away or 50. It doesn't matter whether the destination IP address is 192.168.1.50 or 8.8.8.8, it's all "the internet" as far as the router is concerned.
So how best to set up the networks?

I can't see anything in the TP-Link manual that would help in your current physical configuration (maybe I'm missing it). But if you could swap the two routers around you could use the Asus' "Network Services Filter" to block it access to the (now upstream) TP-Link LAN.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!