What's new

Access control (child surveillance)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Saar

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an ASUS router, probably the DSL-AC68U.
I've been looking through forums but didn't find an answer on my question so far, I hope to find one here since folks here probably know more about additional features for it.
I've also searched on here with search words like "block" "time limit" and such but haven't found something relevant. If I missed the thread where it is discussed already, please just point me there.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a way to configure access to wifi so that I can control how long a child goes online through the router. Ideally, I could setup something like 2 hours per day but not after 11 pm or such. To do that, it would be sufficient to check the MAC address since my children are (not yet) able to fool around with that. If in addition to that, I could also block "adult" sites through some sort of public list that identifies them, that would be a nice bonus but it is not my primary goal.

Any hints on how to achieve that with this router or should I rather get another one if I want such a feature?

Thanks!

Jo

yes
go for it and flash rmerlin on it.

You can schedule when you want the wifi on/off for everyone or by wifi device per day of week/hour using the parental controls.
You can easily use opendns family ddns if you wanted family filtering.
I would say ac68u is too much router for parental controls. hehe

yes
go for it and flash rmerlin on it.

You can schedule when you want the wifi on/off for everyone or by wifi device per day of week/hour using the parental controls.
You can easily use opendns family ddns if you wanted family filtering.
I would say ac68u is too much router for parental controls. hehe

Thanks for your reply. In the meantime, I read a bit more and found out that rmerlin doesn't and probably won't support DSL routers, so I'll probably go for the non-DSL version of it.

Parental control is just one of the features I'd like to use.
Primarily, I need a reliable router with a pretty large coverage since our house is quite big and has 3.5 floors including the basement where we sometimes need wifi as well for parties and such. It won't hurt to have a stable signal in parts of the garden as well.

unfortunately, setup something like 2 hours per day (cumulative) is not possible. You can setup only windows. for example 6:00-08:00 and 17:00-21:00.....

If Merlin add this option to parental control settings, then will be best router with embeded parental control :)

unfortunately, setup something like 2 hours per day (cumulative) is not possible. You can setup only windows. for example 6:00-08:00 and 17:00-21:00.....

If Merlin add this option to parental control settings, then will be best router with embeded parental control :)

Any chance for that? :)

Hang on a minute. Please double check before you commit to buying, but I didn't think the DSL-AC68U will take Merlin's firmware i.e. it's not a supported model.

If I'm wrong I apologise for any inconenience caused, but I reckon better to be safe than sorry.

Hang on a minute. Please double check before you commit to buying, but I didn't think the DSL-AC68U will take Merlin's firmware i.e. it's not a supported model.

If I'm wrong I apologise for any inconenience caused, but I reckon better to be safe than sorry.
You're right, Merlin don't support dslmodem+router combos, only plain routers.

Supported devices are:
* RT-N66U
* RT-AC66U
* RT-AC56U
* RT-AC68U
* RT-AC68P
* RT-AC87U
* RT-AC3200
* RT-AC88U
* RT-AC3100
* RT-AC5300

Thanks, I realized that in the meantime and now I'm thinking whether it's worth getting the plain router plus a separate DSL modem - or if buying the DLS version and missing the features merlin offers is enough for my needs.

Thanks, I realized that in the meantime and now I'm thinking whether it's worth getting the plain router plus a separate DSL modem - or if buying the DLS version and missing the features merlin offers is enough for my needs.

You can't put a price on some things! So put Merlin's firmware as the priority, and get the DSL modem.

By the way, just a reminder, if you order from Amazon, do it via the link on the forum - top right of the page?

You can't put a price on some things! So put Merlin's firmware as the priority, and get the DSL modem.

Do you have a recommendation for a DSL modem then that would work well with the router and also support VDSL 50 with annex j so that I can use IPTV with it here in Germany?

By the way, just a reminder, if you order from Amazon, do it via the link on the forum - top right of the page?

I'll try that if it's possible to order through amazon.com to Germany. I guess I'll have to go through amazon.de though but I'm not sure yet if I'll buy through amazon at all since I usually prefer to buy at local stores to support them.

Do you have a recommendation for a DSL modem then that would work well with the router and also support VDSL 50 with annex j so that I can use IPTV with it here in Germany?

I'll try that if it's possible to order through amazon.com to Germany. I guess I'll have to go through amazon.de though but I'm not sure yet if I'll buy through amazon at all since I usually prefer to buy at local stores to support them.

Sorry, I'm in the UK and my modem is a British Telecom Openreach modem, so I can't help you. Perhaps forum members based in Germany can give you guidance on the correct modem. Is it possible to put the ISP-supplied modem-router into modem-only mode?

And I too had great difficulty ordering from Amazon UK via the forum. Maybe it only works for Amazon. com.

Sorry, I'm in the UK and my modem is a British Telecom Openreach modem, so I can't help you. Perhaps forum members based in Germany can give you guidance on the correct modem. Is it possible to put the ISP-supplied modem-router into modem-only mode?

The "Speedport" I got from them is starting to act up, that is why I'm looking for something new now. So I doubt using it even just as a modem will be a good idea.
I'm learning while looking, that is how I found out about merlin at all and ended up here, so it may take a bit until I decide on what to get. I also check in German forums on what people suggest there but it might be that someone here has a good recommendation as well.

The "Speedport" I got from them is starting to act up, that is why I'm looking for something new now. So I doubt using it even just as a modem will be a good idea.
I'm learning while looking, that is how I found out about merlin at all and ended up here, so it may take a bit until I decide on what to get. I also check in German forums on what people suggest there but it might be that someone here has a good recommendation as well.

I can't fault your logic. Do keep in touch and let us know what you decide: it may well help someone with a similar decision in future. Plus it's good feedback for other forum members. And of course don't hesitate to ask more questions.

I always recommend separate modem and router. Modems tend to have a shorter life expectancy than routers, as people will either upgrade (i.e. going from ADSL2+ to VDSL2), or their modem start acting flakey after 3-4 years.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!