What's new

Access modem Web UI on WAN port (no script) failure

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you for your feedback. :)

If I connect LAN1 directly to the PC, I can call the modem under its IP without any further settings.

If I statically configure the IP on my Windows PC and then create a second IP 169.254.2.2/255.255.0.0 in the advanced settings, I have access to the WebUi of the modem via WLAN.

OK, that's good.

Do you know whether the PC's IP address has to be in the 169.254.x.y range or can it be something else, like 192.168.1.99?;)

In the meantime, I have edited the previous post.

If the PC is connected to the modem via LAN, the settings automatically assigned by Windows are sufficient.

:)

If I connect LAN1 directly to the PC, I can call the modem under its IP without any further settings.
Can you determine how the PC is getting its IP address? Is it self-assigning a 169.254 address or is it getting one from a DHCP server on LAN1. If it's the latter then it would be a very bad idea to connect an Ethernet cable between LAN1 and the router's LAN ports as you would have two DHCP servers fighting for control.

If the PC is connected to the modem via LAN, the settings automatically assigned by Windows are sufficient.
By "settings automatically assigned by Windows" are you referring to the secondary 169.254.2.2 address you created or its primary 192.168.1.x address? I'm trying to work out what access restrictions there are on the modem's interface.

Can you determine how the PC is getting its IP address? Is it self-assigning a 169.254 address or is it getting one from a DHCP server on LAN1. If it's the latter then it would be a very bad idea to connect an Ethernet cable between LAN1 and the router's LAN ports as you would have two DHCP servers fighting for control.

A self-assigning address (169.254).

By "settings automatically assigned by Windows" are you referring to the secondary 169.254.2.2 address you created or its primary 192.168.1.x address? I'm trying to work out what access restrictions there are on the modem's interface.

With automatically assigned IP address I meant no further settings by me, so no extra secondary 169.254.2.2 address.

Last edited:
Only if I connect my Thinkpad directly to the LAN1 of the modem. Via WI-Fi, I always have to assign the secondary IP address in the advanced settings to the laptop in order to have access. But I would like to use any device (iPad, Mac, etc.) Have access to the modem via Wi-Fi without making any further network settings. This worked perfectly with my old modem, with the new modem no longer.

Thank you for your patience with me. :)

Sorry, I'm confused. Have you tried to connect to 169.254.2.1 from a wired PC connected to one of the router's LAN ports (without 169.254.2.2 defined on the PC)?

No.

I only have access to the modem if I connect my Thinkpad with a LAN cable directly to LAN1 of the modem (not on AX88U).
Or via Wi-Fi with secondary IP address in the extended network settings.

Have you tried to connect to 169.254.2.1 from a wired PC connected to one of the router's LAN ports (without 169.254.2.2 defined on the PC)?
Can you try that, just to confirm that this is not a WiFi specific issue. I suspect it will make no difference, in which case there's no way we can make this work.

What the original script did was create two IP addresses for the router's WAN interface which were both sent over a single cable. That is exactly the same thing you are doing with the secondary address on your PC. But because your modem's LAN1 cable is plugged into the router's LAN port the traffic has to stay on the switch, it is not routed. And because it is not routed there is nothing the router can do with it (it never receives it).

Have you tried to connect to 169.254.2.1 from a wired PC connected to one of the router's LAN ports (without 169.254.2.2 defined on the PC)?

I tried this now, but I don't get a connection on 169.254.2.1. Unfortunately. Thank you very much for your efforts and patience! :):):)

@ColinTaylor ...

Allow many of them to make one last attempt. And maybe that doesn't give you any misunderstandings.

With these settings (two LAN cables) I have access to the modem on Windows via Wi-Fi. Unfortunately, the Internet no longer works. Is there a solution?

DAF2C3E3-B062-43CC-BE7C-1E133645A6E4.jpeg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!