What's new

Access Point Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wilsonbh

Occasional Visitor
I have a working AIMESH setup. Just playing around here but have this older (AC3200) router flashed with Merlin. It works fine but doesn't have the capability to MESH into my system. So my question is, "Can I tie this router into one of my NODES as an ACCESS POINT via an Ethernet cable?" Thinking it might strengthen the signal strength. I have this AC3200 that I can't figure out what to do with it. It was a poorly thought out purchase. I guess I could try to sell it if I can't use it. Sure wish ASUS had firmware that allowed it to MESH.

Last edited:
I have a working AIMESH setup. Just playing around here but have this older (AC3200) router flashed with Merlin. It works fine but doesn't have the capability to MESH into my system. So my question is, "Can I tie this router into one of my NODES as an ACCESS POINT via an Ethernet cable?" Thinking it might strengthen the signal strength. I have this AC3200 that I can't figure out what to do with it. It was a poorly thought out purchase. I guess I could try to sell it if I can't use it. Sure wish ASUS had firmware that allowed it to MESH.

If the box supports AP Mode, you can wire it to a LAN as an AP:

Adding an AP does not increase WiFi signal strength... it extends WiFi coverage by adding WiFi broadcasts/signals. Beware adding too much WiFi.

Google 'WiFi AP' and read up.

OE

Last edited:

As we discussed in the other thread, you have two options really
Run it in repeater mode, stick it in an area where you need more coverage. This is basically exactly what a wireless node is in AIMESH, you just can't manage it from the main router, no big deal really.
Hardwire it and run it in AP mode (better but requires wiring), again put it somewhere you need more coverage. This is mimicking a wired node, again just without central management and automatic propagation of the wifi settings (and you do lose the ability to isolate the guest network on the node too, if you're using guest).

Just plugging it into an existing node and leaving them next to each other would hurt rather than help. There are a few exceptions like if you wanted to create some isolated network for IOT devices, in which case you'd run it in router mode and make sure to choose different channels and SSIDs. But doesn't sound like you're looking to do anything that complex.

Or sell it and get one with AIMesh support

Last edited:
If the box supports AP Mode, you can wire it to a LAN as an AP:

Adding an AP does not increase WiFi signal strength... it extends WiFi coverage by adding WiFi broadcasts/signals. Beware adding too much WiFi.

Google 'WiFi AP' and read up.

OE
I think I've beaten this horse to death. My fix is to try to sell the AC3200. I guess for someone needing such a thing as a stand alone router, it might be ok. If it doesn't sell, I'll put it on the shelf in the closet where many things tend to just disappear.

I think I've beaten this horse to death. My fix is to try to sell the AC3200. I guess for someone needing such a thing as a stand alone router, it might be ok. If it doesn't sell, I'll put it on the shelf in the closet where many things tend to just disappear.

If you are in the US, you can recycle anything that plugs in by dropping it off at the front counter of your local Best Buy.

OE

If you are in the US, you can recycle anything that plugs in by dropping it off at the front counter of your local Best Buy.

OE

At least drop it at staples and get the $5 in rewards credit. Its worth more than that, someone needing to upgrade their home router to support >100M will grab it off you for $40 or $50 probably. Try for 60.