What's new

Access settings on E2000 in AP mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dalgard

Occasional Visitor
Hi forum,

My setup is as follows: My modem-router is in bridge mode and I get 5 public IPs from my ISP. The modem connects to one of the LAN ports on my Linksys E2000 router which is also set to bridge (or AP?) mode and to which I connect my wireless devices.

Now I would like to change the password for my WLAN and thus need to access the advanced settings of the Linksys through my browser. But I can't for the life of me remember how!

If I connect my laptop to the Linksys router (AP) with a cable and assign a local IP to my network card (192.168.1.113) and then type in http://192.168.1.1/ in my browser I get the setup page for my modem-router! I've tried alle IPs in the 192.168.1.x range and also -.2.1, -.2.2, -.0.1 and so forth.

Maybe I just need to reset the Linksys but I'd rather keep whatever settings I originally put in it than going through setting that up again.

Hope you'll be able to help! Thanks :)

Edit: Oh, and I've also tried the Linksys setup software with all possible combinations.

during configuration of the access point, you could opt for giving it a static IP address in your non-DHCP range of LAN addresses. This done, and written down, you'll know how to access it for admin purposes.

Failing that, it may have a DHCP client and got an address from your router. If so, that would show up in the router's list of active DHCP grants.

You'd think so, right? Thing is, it doesn't use DHCP since I don't want it to use up one of my public IPs. And as mentioned I've tried every IP in the 192.168.1.x range and also -.2.1, -.2.2, -.0.1 and so forth. I've also tried disconnecting it from the router and connecting to it directly.

What could have gone wrong?

The problem is likely because the modem-router and AP are assigned the same IP address.

You need to:
1) Disconnect the AP from the modem router
2) Give the client a static IP of 192.168.1.13, subnet mask 255.255.255.0
3) clear the arp cache with (for Windows) netsh interface ip delete arpcache
4) connect to the AP @ 192.168.1.1 and assign it an IP not in use (192.168.1.2?)

If it did not work earlier, you probably performed the steps piecemeal or your client was still trying to connect to the MAC of the modem-router (which step 3 accounts for).

Reset the 2100's router config?

I was trying to avoid that but I guess, yeah... Also, this wouldn't give me any satisfaction or help me understand what is going on. And it wouldn't help me in a similar situation in the future either.

Most often, an access point or bridge is given a static LAN IP address (not a public IP address). If your router/gateway is 192.168.1.1, then of course your AP could be, say, 192.168.1.201, if your router's DHCP range stops before 201.

Or create in the router a DHCP reservation based on the AP's MAC address.

Not sure why you mentioned use of a public IP address for use in the AP - that seems N/A.

Resetting to defaults is simple, all thats needed after is to disable DHCP, change the router IP, and configure wireless like you're wanting. Get a label maker(or some tape and marker) and put the IP you setup on the router this time.

Only way to avoid the, oh so simple reset... um.. why? To run wireshark and search for and match the MAC address of the router to it's reported IP.

Well, as I said earlier...

I was trying to avoid that but I guess, yeah... Also, this wouldn't give me any satisfaction or help me understand what is going on. And it wouldn't help me in a similar situation in the future either.

:)

I will do it now, though, and I'd like to thank you a lot for helping me - guys like you are what's keeping it all together :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!