What's new

Access through VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Simp1

New Around Here
Hi,

Newbie here..
I have an Archer C7 as main router connected to the internet and an ASUS RT-ac66u b1 configured both as OpenVPN Server and Client. VPN provider is NordVPN. The Asus WAN port is connected to a LAN port on the Archer C7. Archer internal IP is on subnet 0 and Asus on subnet 1. I have Home Assistant (on Raspberry Pi) hardwired to the ASUS and would like to access Home Assistant from anywhere on the internet. I have tried to do a lot of searches and tested this and that. I checked the guide for setting up VPN server on ASUS in this forum also. I have used the OpenVPN Connect app to try to connect to the OpenVPN Server on the router. Is it possible to access Home Assistant (or the ASUS VPN network in general for that matter) with this setup at all? Another thing I was wondering about is that the internal WAN IP of the Archer C7 is on subnet 1, although the router is on subnet 0. Shouldn't the internal WAN also be on subnet 0 as the rest of the Archer network is on 0? (192.168.0.1 aso)

Thanks for your patience in advance :)

BR,

Simon

You can use the OpenVPN server to reach any devices on the local network on which the server is running. That's the whole point. Of course, it's possible personal firewalls *might* prevent access to those same devices. Many devices don't allow access by a foreign *private* network (in this case, the tunnel's IP network (e.g., 10.8.0.0/24)), at least NOT by default. You may need to reconfigure (or disable) those firewalls to get past that common issue.

As far as your concerns about the WAN, I don't follow. The only issues for accessing the OpenVPN server on the secondary router is that a) the primary router has a *public* IP on its WAN, and b) you've port forwarded from that WAN to the private IP and port of the OpenVPN server on the secondary router's WAN.

You can use the OpenVPN server to reach any devices on the local network on which the server is running. That's the whole point. Of course, it's possible personal firewalls *might* prevent access to those same devices. Many devices don't allow access by a foreign *private* network (in this case, the tunnel's IP network (e.g., 10.8.0.0/24)), at least NOT by default. You may need to reconfigure (or disable) those firewalls to get past that common issue.

As far as your concerns about the WAN, I don't follow. The only issues for accessing the OpenVPN server on the secondary router is that a) the primary router has a *public* IP on its WAN, and b) you've port forwarded from that WAN to the private IP and port of the OpenVPN server on the secondary router's WAN.
Thanks a lot for this, I think i might have mixed things up with the WAN.