What's new

Accessing different subnet using RT-AX86U with VPN on?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lynx

So I have an RT-AX86U and have loaded on the Merlin firmware @ 192.168.1.1.

I have a Huawei B818-263 set in bridge mode to provide 4G internet access @ 192.168.8.1.

Ordinarily I can access 192.168.8.1 via my RT-AX86U, however not when I turn my VPN on on my RT-AX86U. When the VPN is on I lose the ability to ping or connect to 192.168.8.1 and so cannot configure my B818-263.

How can I retain access to my B818-263 on its different subnet even when I have my VPN turned on on my RT-AX86U?

Do I need to set up a static route? If so, what should that static route look like? What should the interface be set to? LAN/WAN/VPN?

Thank you ColinTaylor that seemed to do the trick.

Specifically I set 'Policy Rules':

LAN192.168.1.0/24VPN
Modem192.168.1.0/24192.168.8.1WAN

So I understand that this means that all LAN devices will go through the VPN, but that any LAN devices that want to connect to the modem will go through the WAN.

What happens in general between LAN devices? I presume they do not go through the VPN, or does that also go through the VPN? So say my computer connects to my printer - that is not via the VPN surely?

Sorry this is probably an extremely stupid question.

Last edited:
What happens in respect of say communication between two LAN devices on the same subnet? I presume they do not go through the VPN, or does that also go through the VPN.
Are you talking about devices on your 192.168.1.x LAN? Those devices communicate directly with each other via the router's switch (i.e. LAN ports). Their traffic isn't routed so it doesn't go "through" the router.

Ah, thanks - yes that clarifies things in my mind.

So I believe now with my rule setup any connection attempt 'through the router' to my modem will now go through WAN and not VPN, which explains why I can now access my modem correctly despite the VPN being set to on.

So I believe now with my rule setup any connection attempt 'through the router' to my modem will now go through WAN and not VPN, which explains why I can now access my modem correctly despite the VPN being set to on.
Correct.