What's new

Accessing home network through OpenVPN server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT Strickland

Very Senior Member
This has got to be the most rookie, noobiest, greenest question ever asked on this board, but how do I access my network through OpenVPN server?
I've got the server set up and am able to connect to it, but how do I access my network and clients on the network? By browser, ssh, or ??? I set it up where my bookeeper could connect to the VPN, but I had a senior moment after that. All day senior moment.
thanks,
jts

PS: I looked, and everything I found stopped after configuring it.

Assuming you configured "Client will use VPN to access" on the OpenVPN server to allow access to your local network (which requires either LAN only or Both), you simply reference your devices by their local IP address, using whatever protocol is relevant (e.g., http/https w/ your browser) just as if you were actually at home. And if you push your home DNS server (Advertise DNS to clients), you can reference them by any local hostnames.

Presumably your bookkeeper has his/her own account? If so, you need to make sure they have local network access to whatever shares they're meant to access as well. Then they can simply connect to that share for example by adding a network location in Windows by using the local IP address and network name for the device(s) they have access to and then log in with their credentials.
I guess it all comes down on what it is that they need to access, as well as how it needs to be accessed.

Thanks, I have VPN server set for allow access to LAN but not internet. Maybe I should select both for her to log in remotely.
I do have a user and share folder set up in my NAS for her but she can't access it. We're going to try again today.

You only need Both or Internet Only for the access method when you wish to have internet access provided to the client through your network and out through your ISP. It has nothing to do w/ the client's ability to access home/office resources. For strictly home/office resources, LAN Only is sufficient.

You only need Both or Internet Only for the access method when you wish to have internet access provided to the client through your network and out through your ISP. It has nothing to do w/ the client's ability to access home/office resources. For strictly home/office resources, LAN Only is sufficient.
OK, Then I will leave is as is. I wasn't sure how that worked. There is something else that I don't have quite right then.
thanks again,
jts

Presumably your bookkeeper has his/her own account? If so, you need to make sure they have local network access to whatever shares they're meant to access as well. Then they can simply connect to that share for example by adding a network location in Windows by using the local IP address and network name for the device(s) they have access to and then log in with their credentials.
I guess it all comes down on what it is that they need to access, as well as how it needs to be accessed.
I set her up an account on my VPN server, and created a user and share on my NAS, but she hasn't been able to access it yet. I can't tell for sure it she is doing, or not doing, anything to prevent it. She can access it at my home office on my wifi, but not from her home.

My router shows she is connected to the OpenVPN server, but I don't see her on my network, and she is unable to access anything on it. I changed "advertize dns to clients" to ON but didn't have any effect.
I have missed something.

EDIT: I may have found it. I think skynet is blocking her. I'm going to install the latest and if that don't do it, then figure out how to whitelist her.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!