What's new

Accessing local resources behind expressvpn tunnel from openvpn server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

one of the "issues" they were seeing is this.. See pictures of the DNS leak test. It shows the IP address of the server I was connected to..but on the results, it would show completely different IP addresses...and nordvpn support said it's leaks.

At some point it was working properly but then it just stopped and I started getting those results.
I tried Disabled, Relaxed, Strict and Exclusive.. all rendered the same results and was driving them crazy and they could not find a solution so that's why I cancelled it.
These are the results I had sent them when I was on their vpn.

You need to do some reading on that link I provided earlier. It will make clear how I feel about online DNS leak testing tools.

What I look for on the leak test is nothing coming back remotely close to where I'm located and not my ISP.

1646007880711.png

1646008011294.png

The reason I'm not concerned is because it's picking up the VPN IP and there may be other systems connecting through the same VPN endpoint that aren't quite as secure in their configuration. Also, I run everything through pihole for DNS anyway to block all of the tracking / telemetry / ads.

1646008277535.png

I've noticed lately my geo location bouncing around a lot more with Nord from the region I connect to to the west coast / east / international and it can change with a page refresh on google.

1646008540912.png

https://torguard.net/vpn-dns-leak-test.php -- this is the only one that spits back just the Nord server. It seems more like an error with how the other pages are coded and one mentioned using nslookup on the IP which really isn't going to do much since nslookup is supposed to basically trigger a name to IP translation but, you already have the IP so what's the point?

1646015654730.png

Last edited:
I wonder why they were concerned then (nordvpn support). At some point when I did some of the dnsleak tests, it was coming back with only one IP and it matched the server I was using except the last digit of the IP was off by one... so instead of ending in .121 it was .122.

But this is before I was told about it not using DnsMasq. I wish it was a lot simpler for simpletons like myself. Maybe in future builds?

Also, on my last results.. I would connect to New York server..but on the dnsleak results..the was only one IP, but the IP address that showed is from Kansas... is that normal?
Or should it match the IP address of the server I am connected to?

It should really only be the one IP matching x.x.x.Y like the last one I posted. The sites running the test aren't 100% reliable which is why you have to read between the lines a bit. What I would do if you're in NY connect to another city like LA and run the test. If nothing comes back in NY then you're golden and don't worry about the residual results. They're meaningless. Use something other than Nord's DNS as well as it sometimes gets confused and doesn't work.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!