What's new

Actiontec MI424WR as Router with GoCoax for MOCA and Keep TV?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qbirdee

New Around Here
Hi,

I've been searching around, and can't quite find the answer to this question.

I currently have an Actiontec MI424WR (red band, so gigabit ethernet ports) but am upgrading Verizon FiOS service to 200/200mbps. I also for various reasons need to keep the triple bundle Internet/Phone/TV.

Problem is I don't have ethernet to a central part of house where current router is (Asus). The Verizon tech also refused to run an ethernet line anywhere.

My thought then was to move the Actiontec next to ONT in basement, with Ethernet in to the WAN port. It seems the GoCoax MOCA adapters are a great solution for a MOCA 2.5 network, so could have ethernet in off a LAN port on Actiontec to get the MOCA 2.5 network going. And keeping the Actiontec lets me keep the DVR/Guide functionality.

My question though, is how do I hook up the coax to the actiontec and gocoax in basement so I keep both the TV/Guide and get the MOCA 2.5 network running?

Thanks for any advice!

Physically, you'd need to use a coax splitter (ideally a specific MoCA 2.0 model) to connect both the MI424-WR and MoCA 2.5 adapter to your shared coax plant. (Exactly how you'd do this depends on where you're setting them up and the coax available, the details of which are lacking.) One thing that you could NOT do is connect the MI424-WR via the MoCA adapter's RF pass-through ("TV"/"STB Out") port, as this port effectively blocks MoCA signals.

I think I get it. To simplify, I can essentially hook them each up to a MOCA bidirectional splitter with the 'out' going back to the rest of the house coax if I'm interpreting correctly.

Any interference to worry about with essentially two Moca networks running, the gocoax 2.5 and the actiontec 1.1?

Thanks again for the help!

The MOCA 2.5 will communicate with the MOCA 1.1 at MOCA 1.1 rates. It will communicate with the other MOCA 2.5 modem at 2.5 rates.

There are not 2 moca networks, only 1.
Realize that they share the cable, so when the slower one owns it, all have to wait..

Any interference to worry about with essentially two Moca networks running, the gocoax 2.5 and the actiontec 1.1?
What @degrub said:
The MOCA 2.5 will communicate with the MOCA 1.1 at MOCA 1.1 rates. It will communicate with the other MOCA 2.5 modem at 2.5 rates.

There are not 2 moca networks, only 1.
Realize that they share the cable, so when the slower one owns it, all have to wait.

... but with the caveat that you could optionally configure the MoCA 2.5 gear to operate as a second MoCA network, in parallel to the MoCA 1.1 network, at the expense of total bandwidth for the MoCA 2.5 network (max 1200 Mbps vs 2000 Mbps). The MoCA 1.1 network would still operate at its pitiful "up to 170 Mbps" rate. ;)

Last edited:
I think I get it. To simplify, I can essentially hook them each up to a MOCA bidirectional splitter with the 'out' going back to the rest of the house coax if I'm interpreting correctly.
Close, but not sure we're entirely on the same page. I was thinking the MoCA devices would be connected to a splitter's outputs. I suggest you provide some detail on just what coax runs you have, for what purpose, and the connecting equipment, so a suggestion could be made how to best set it up, for optimal performance. (e.g. Where to install a "PoE" MoCA filter, for performance benefits.)

Last edited:
Sure, so slight mod from original plan. Looks like a can get ethernet run to one spot in house, but still need the MOCA 2.5 adapters to get high speed connection elsewhere.

So:
Basement: ONT, with ethernet out, and 6 way coax splitter to all parts of the house

Family room: ethernet in going to WAN on Actiontec
coax connector available - splitter one to Actiontec, other to STB

Rest of house: coax connector available

Goal: get MOCA to various parts of the rest of the house via coax for a few desktops

So at the family room site, I believe I would need ethernet off a LAN to a GoCoax. Question then is where to put any additional splitters, POE filters, etc. I do like the idea of a separate MOCA network. At this point, my internet is 200/200 so a 1gig upper limit would be fine.

Thanks again for all the help!

Basement: ONT, with ethernet out, and 6 way coax splitter to all parts of the house

Family room: ethernet in going to WAN on Actiontec
coax connector available - splitter one to Actiontec, other to STB
Sounds good. Suggestions:
1) Put a "PoE" MoCA filter on the input of the 6-way splitter (for performance benefit, rather than security).
2) Use a 3-way splitter in the Family Room, connecting its outputs to the MI424-WR, STB and goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapter.

The MoCA 1.1 gear could be left configured as-is, I believe, assuming it's operating at the lowest frequency, but you'd want to configure the goCoax adapters to use the D-High range -- and possibly MoCA privacy/security to keep the MoCA 1.1 gear from connecting.

Oh, also, while you're inside the goCoax configuration UI, you may want to see if you can modify each adapter's IP address to a unique setting for your local LAN, to allow you to remote access the adapters, later, to monitor their stats. (some info here)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!