What's new

Adaptive and traditional QoS real disaster

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

doc octopus

Problems with QoS activated in adaptive and traditional mode: the online game, with all the games, on xbox suffers from ping shifts, disabling QoS the situation stabilizes and the problem does not highlight itself.
I have already reported the problem several times, without having an answer.

What ISP Service do you have?

Are you gaming via wired or wireless? If the latter, which band?

The more complete information you provide, the more appropriate answers you may get. :)

I'm from Italy and I've 2 ISP, TIM (pppoe) and Fastweb (DHCP auto), game console linked via wireless and wired, wireless only 5 GHz.

Wired and wireless at the same time? To two different ISP's?

Problems with QoS activated in adaptive and traditional mode: the online game, with all the games, on xbox suffers from ping shifts, disabling QoS the situation stabilizes and the problem does not highlight itself.
I have already reported the problem several times, without having an answer.
Asus is still in the stone age with Qos it's old does not does not work very well Smart Queue Management is way better than Qos Asus needs to dump Qos

Last edited by a moderator:
If you apply QoS and pings are not included with the QoS then yes pings may look bad as other traffic has priority now over pings.

There are many factors that could be causing a game performance problem... is QoS even possible with Dual WAN?

Traditional QoS should not impair performance, Adaptive QoS is more of a Black Box that can do anything.

Asus is still in the stone age with Qos it's old does not does not work very well Smart Queue Management is way better than Qos Asus needs to dump Qos

Like a broken record , always the same pointless and inaccurate comment.
If the ASUS QOS implementation is so bad why is it featured in all the ROG gaming routers?
Why do the guys at Overclockers and the ROG forums use it on their gaming rigs?
These people spend £/$ 1000's on their gaming systems , would they be using ASUS if it was so "stoneage"?

If the ASUS QOS implementation is so bad why is it featured in all the ROG gaming routers?
These people spend £/$ 1000's on their gaming systems , would they be using ASUS if it was so "stoneage"?

Perhaps it is featured in all ROG routers in order to make these routers appear as "true gaming routers"? And whether or not the function actually works in this or that number of scenarios is less relevant, as you can always pin the blame on the user "not getting something right in his individual scenario".
I did a cursory search of a few "overlocker" and "ROG" forums in order to find the guys who use this function to such great success in their gaming rigs (because I think "success" is what you are referring to). But no, nothing doing - no cries of orgasmic joy, only some people confounded by how to set up QOS so that it doesn’t give them higher pings. Perhaps I was checking the wrong sites ...
Actually, typing "asus qos rog/gaming/reviews" in Google leads me to threads - many at SNB - in which quite a few irritated users present the problems which they encountered when trying to make QOS work.
To be honest - when I had the RT-AC86U, setting QOS with a preference for downloads changed nothing. Now, when I use the TP-Link C5400X, setting a preference for downloads, again, changes nothing. In my humble opinion the QOS function (irrespective of manufacturer) is just tosh.
Even "stoneage" tosh, perhaps.

Go to Asus ROG forum, you will not even find US or UK sites anymore.
And you can post there as much as you want to, nobody will answer or help.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...rmware-3-0-0-4-384-45149-report-if-any-issues
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100896-Buggy-Traditional-QOS-on-GT-AC5300
And here there is very little ROG support too as almost everything is around Merlin.

So where do you think to get infos or postings of working ROG-QoS?

Gamers tend to get fastest connection 1Gb/s and no need of Qos anymore, so they wont even realize its not working.
That when we all know games dont need any fast connection at all, only good pings.

Last edited:

Whats wrong with Smart Queue Management Qos Asus dont have the ball's to add it to their firmware they just keep adding the same old same old every time a new router comes out

If you have fq_codel or SFQ in your router, you basically have smartqueue.
QoS is not easy to configure, and often is not the root cause of the lag.

QoS only helps if your latency problems get worse when you're downloading/uploading something. QoS does not help with many other factors, including:

- bad gameservers
- badmodems.org
- WiFi Issues

Do no break your head trying to enable QoS. First figure out what is happening by measuring bufferbloat with QoS disabled.

Worst case, pick up an edgerouter-x to compare, because Asus QoS might be too hard to configure. You can still leverage the excellent WiFi features of your asus hardware in AP mode. Or you know, spend hours arguing with a hoards of CCNA/CCNP/CCIE idiots on the internet, who have no knowledge whatsoever about QoS at the WAN but that doesn't stop them from making stupid comments and destroying proper dialogue.

I'm not poining the finger at anyone on this website, only at people who believe that QoS doesn't work "over the internet" or "on the ingress channel"

Ask FreshJR