What's new

Adaptive QoS hosed on RT-AX88U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No matter what I put for upload/download bandwidth on a new RT-AX88U on Merlin 384.18, it will peg the upload speed at my ISP's maximum speed and ping plots go to hell. The download appears to be limited appropriately based on what is set for the download bandwidth. Everything appears to be limited appropriately if I use traditional QoS, and the download bandwidth is limited with adaptive, just not upload. I don't have any QoS mods installed yet.
This was a known problem on this firmware and has been reported elsewhere in the forums if you search around and as you discovered, it’s fixed in 384.19.

I have been running 384.19 for a while on mine and it’s been very stable - the major changes are with the Open VPN implementation so if you don’t need that, I would say it’s quite stable.

The only way I know of reliable speed restrictions was on the guest accounts.

Set it up with an SSID that the kids use, then restrict their bandwidth there.

I tried it and it works.

This was a known problem on this firmware and has been reported elsewhere in the forums if you search around and as you discovered, it’s fixed in 384.19.
I couldn't find it searching "RT-AX88U qos." Even the release notes for Asus and Merlin don't mention it. The only mention of QoS I see is:

- FIXED: Enforced DNS and tQoS fix would be lost when the
firewall gets restarted while an OpenVPN client
is running.

I couldn't find it searching "RT-AX88U qos." Even the release notes for Asus and Merlin don't mention it. The only mention of QoS I see is:
Have a read from this post onwards https://www.snbforums.com/threads/384-19_alpha-build-s-testing-available-build-s.65003/post-601962

EDIT: Also this post which mentions it on 384.18 https://www.snbforums.com/threads/384-19_alpha-build-s-testing-available-build-s.65003/post-603640

It doesn't happen for everyone so might be related to the type of ISP connection people use, but as far as I know its fixed in the latest Beta builds

Last edited:
I don't think I could have ever found those while researching issues with 314.18. Thanks for the links to them.

Did you try Cake-QoS instead of the built-in solution? My AX88U QoS is rock solid with Cake.

Doesn't apply to Asuswrt-Merlin, last I checked.
Reset procedures are different for various routers. Think the AX88U is the same as AC86U: power off, turn power on while pressing WPS button, when power LED goes off do a power cycle.

FWIW I see this happening on 318.19b1 too, but it doesn't show up right away. You will see it if you keep changing the upload/download speeds. After a few times QoS just stops limiting upload speed. Rebooting the router seems to fix it. Maybe something about the way the setting is being written to NVRAM is getting messed up?

Did you try Cake-QoS instead of the built-in solution? My AX88U QoS is rock solid with Cake.
I did not. My impression from reading was that Cake wasn't configurable (e.g., I can give Zoom teleconferences higher priority than default). Am I mistaken?

I did not. My impression from reading was that Cake wasn't configurable (e.g., I can give Zoom teleconferences higher priority than default). Am I mistaken?
Honestly thats the beauty....you set and forget it. Cake does everything behind the scenes. You don't need to configure anything. My speeds from comcast suck at 100/5mbps and I don't noticed any issues with about 30 devices including 3 gaming devices (2 wireless) without lag.

I don't like things I can't control. How does it decide whether my zoom conference or my daughter's steam download takes precedence?

I don't like things I can't control. How does it decide whether my zoom conference or my daughter's steam download takes precedence?
You should give it try and see for yourself...if you dont like it simply uninstall!

You're correct - if you have enough bandwidth for all to share fairly then cake is magic. If you need to apply prioritisation so that your zoom gets a bigger share than steam downloads then you need one of the other QoS implementations (probably FlexQoS).
FWIW I see this happening on 318.19b1 too, but it doesn't show up right away. You will see it if you keep changing the upload/download speeds. After a few times QoS just stops limiting upload speed. Rebooting the router seems to fix it. Maybe something about the way the setting is being written to NVRAM is getting messed up?
OK sorry for the bad advice. Maybe restart discussion in the FlexQoS thread as @dave14305 made a change around WAN detection at the end of June https://github.com/dave14305/FlexQoS/commit/50c74d95f4679264f1278aedbf5037cd5a63c351 so may recall more than me

Why bother with custom firmware? Just install Asus stock and forget about it.
If stock firmware will let me run spdMerlin, FlexQoS, Skynet, and support freedns.afraid.org DDNS I'm all in.

Your choice. The ISP line is slow and no need to torture it regularly with spdMerlin. QoS in stock Asus works good enough. You have built in AiProtection and free DDNS. I wouldn’t rely on a USB stick.

I have the Asus app installed on my phone and did a little experiment while having a coffee...

In the app, I found my device and selected it. Here you have bandwidth limiter settings. So I restricted my device to 5Mbps up and 5Mbps down, then ran a speed test on my phone...

Upload and download capped to 5Mbps.

So this is something you could try. Just locate the devices and set restrictions.