What's new

Adaptive QoS Not Throttling

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mears148

Occasional Visitor
So continuing to get used to this new RT-AC3100 router and I am finding that Adaptive QoS has absolutely no impact on down or upstream traffic throttling. My connection is coming in at 2.9Mbps down and about 700Kbps up so I set the downstream to 2.8Mbps and the up to .5Mbps but nothing changed. To make sure I wasn't crazy, I set the up to .1 and the down to 1Mbps and low and behold, still getting completely unregulated 2.9 down and .7 up. Does anyone else have these issues? Does the ASUS firmware not allow for decimal increments, and if not why does 1 Mbps down not cap my speed at such? Thanks for any insight anyone can provide on this one. My connection is already horrible, so QoS traffic management is a huge necessity.

One more question, what would you guys set your down and up speeds to in my case where you are right on the line of usability with the speeds I'm given from the provider already?

Update: So I did some testing and got Adaptive QoS to work at throttling my connection as it should. Basically I have to enable Traditional QoS first and apply the changes, then after the UI comes back up switch it back to Adaptive QoS and then it suddenly started working. Looks like a potential bug in the firmware perhaps? I am running Merlin's 380.57_alpha3 firmware for reference. Figured I'd let you all know.

I am also curious what the App Analysis meters are supposed to be ranged to reflect (on a scale of 0-1000Mbps)? You would think they would reflect the limits you set in QoS but clearly that's not the case cause my connection maxed out barely makes a mark on the meters :/

Last edited:
So continuing to get used to this new RT-AC3100 router and I am finding that Adaptive QoS has absolutely no impact on down or upstream traffic throttling. My connection is coming in at 2.9Mbps down and about 700Kbps up so I set the downstream to 2.8Mbps and the up to .5Mbps but nothing changed. To make sure I wasn't crazy, I set the up to .1 and the down to 1Mbps and low and behold, still getting completely unregulated 2.9 down and .7 up. Does anyone else have these issues? Does the ASUS firmware not allow for decimal increments, and if not why does 1 Mbps down not cap my speed at such? Thanks for any insight anyone can provide on this one. My connection is already horrible, so QoS traffic management is a huge necessity.

One more question, what would you guys set your down and up speeds to in my case where you are right on the line of usability with the speeds I'm given from the provider already?

Update: So I did some testing and got Adaptive QoS to work at throttling my connection as it should. Basically I have to enable Traditional QoS first and apply the changes, then after the UI comes back up switch it back to Adaptive QoS and then it suddenly started working. Looks like a potential bug in the firmware perhaps? I am running Merlin's 380.57_alpha3 firmware for reference. Figured I'd let you all know.

I am also curious what the App Analysis meters are supposed to be ranged to reflect (on a scale of 0-1000Mbps)? You would think they would reflect the limits you set in QoS but clearly that's not the case cause my connection maxed out barely makes a mark on the meters :/
Did you try the bandwidth limiter?

Does the ASUS firmware not allow for decimal increments => Yes, we have fixed. And adaptive qos works fine under my testing, I think we will release another firmware to fix these issues.
If you want to confirm, I can help you to get beta firmware from my side.

Thanks,
Vanic

Does the ASUS firmware not allow for decimal increments => Yes, we have fixed. And adaptive qos works fine under my testing, I think we will release another firmware to fix these issues.
If you want to confirm, I can help you to get beta firmware from my side.

Thanks,
Vanic
@vanic I would love to help you test the beta firmware for QoS. Let me know where to get it and I'll see if I have better luck with the new release. Thanks.