What's new

Add Verizon MoCA ASK-MAE340 to a network of ScreenBeam ECB7250s

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cam0001

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have 5 ScreenBeam ECB7250s working at my place, and I bought a "Verizon ASK-MAE340" (https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/equipment/moca-ethernet-adapter ) to add.

Couple of questions:
  1. After I upgraded my ECB7250s from Firmware 1.17.5.0 to 1.18.7.5, the only band I see is "D-Ext". Before there were more bands I could configure. Is this going to be a problem?
  2. The ECB7250s have both "Network Security" and "Enhanced Network Security" passcodes. How do I configure these on the ASK-MAE340?

Thanks!

Selecting D ext is to drop the lower two bands to allow coexistence with DOCCIS 3.1 . Basically, you give up 40 % of your available bandwidth.

A 5 port Gbit switch would have given you the same result, maybe for less cost. The 2.5 Gbit port is a bit of marketing, since all devices in the chain have to support that link rate and there are no competitors for the wire.

Here's what I have on all Screen Beams:

01.png

Are you saying I don't need to have that selected at all? (That what was selected by default after I updated the firmware)

Is there a place you can point me to so I can read more what these parameters mean? (I just installed this MoCA setup about 1 week ago), trying to get rid of ethernet cables that I ran on all rooms (under the carpet) about 10 years ago..

My cable modem is the Motorola MB8600, which as I understand, works on the bands 5-1002 Mhz.

Any thoughts on question #2?

Thanks!

1) i am not familiar with those modems and their software. Several other folks here have used them so search for Screen Beam in this forum.
2) the moca alliance has published several guides over the years. There are links posted in the threads. Users KrKaufman and Ozarkedge will have them on their threads. Or you can search the internet.
3) that cable modem does not use bands in the moca region. No issue.
4) #2 security - no idea. Have not worked with that device. maybe there is a user guide on their website ?

Couple of questions:
Is the new Verizon unit linking with the ECB7250’s? Are you seeing the same throughput through it as over other MoCA links? What does the MoCA diagnostics page show for PHY rates?

And do you have a (70 dB) “PoE” MoCA filter installed, or coax physically disconnected, to preclude MoCA connectivity from outside your coax plant?

I don't have the Verizon unit yet (it should come in few days), however I want to prepare for any extra configuration needed before it comes. I have the Moca filter installed at the entrance of the coaxial cable in the house, and is exactly they one from your Amazon link.

Before the firmware update, I there were multiple bands listed (D-Low, D-High, D-Ext and few others). However, after the update only D-Ext was left (which still not sure if that's a good or bad thing).

Based on this, does "In Scan List" needs to be selected? (still confused as to what checkbox does).

A separate topic, does the Moca standard allows VLAN Tagging to pass thru? I wanted to have a Wi-Fi access point connected to one of the Moca units, and this one has multiple WLANs, each on its own VLAN.

after the update only D-Ext was left (which still not sure if that's a good or bad thing)
It shouldn’t make a difference, assuming the plan is to use the full “MoCA Extended Band D” frequency range to maintain a default 5-channel MoCA 2.5 network. (It would likely complicate any attempt to customize the adapters to use a more limited range, either D-Low or D-High, but that’s hopefully never needed.)

Based on this, does "In Scan List" needs to be selected? (still confused as to what checkbox does).
It should definitely be left as pictured, checked.

A separate topic, does the Moca standard allows VLAN Tagging to pass thru?
This isn’t part of the MoCA standard, so varies by vendor, it seems, based on how they’ve integrated their network ports.

goCoax and Motorola MM1K adapters have been confirmed to pass VLAN tags unharmed, while Translite adapters with multiple network ports have reportedly stripped VLAN tags. It will be interesting to see what you report for the ECB7250’s and Verizon adapter.

goCoax and Motorola MM1K adapters have been confirmed to pass VLAN tags unharmed, while Translite adapters with multiple network ports have reportedly stripped VLAN tags. It will be interesting to see what you report for the ECB7250’s and Verizon adapter.
While I've not had a chance to check it yet, the ECB7250's are supposed to pass VLAN tags transparently. I'll be fairly unhappy if they don't, because I bought them only after seeing a confirmation on these boards that they do.

While I've not had a chance to check it yet, the ECB7250's are supposed to pass VLAN tags transparently. I'll be fairly unhappy if they don't, because I bought them only after seeing a confirmation on these boards that they do.
I'll keep my fingers crossed. If I get a chance, I'll get to test this before the weekend.

Something happened with the order of the Verizon adapter that never got delivered. However, I also confirm the ScreenBeam Adapters also pass tagged packets with no issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!