What's new

Adding 2nd node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Deano_53

New Around Here
I'm thinking of adding a second node. I already have two RT-AC86U and I also have a RT-AC68U. When I added the 2nd node, I looked at the Network Map and it looks like the 2nd node is connected to the 1st node. I tried turning off the 1st one and connecting the 2nd one to the router and turning on the 1st one and reconnecting. The 2nd node is still connected to the 1st one. Is that what I should suspect to see?

Thanks!

Deano

Where are the physical nodes located? It will most likely connect to the closest one and/or the one with the highest signal.

I'm thinking of adding a second node. I already have two RT-AC86U and I also have a RT-AC68U. When I added the 2nd node, I looked at the Network Map and it looks like the 2nd node is connected to the 1st node. I tried turning off the 1st one and connecting the 2nd one to the router and turning on the 1st one and reconnecting. The 2nd node is still connected to the 1st one. Is that what I should suspect to see?

Thanks!

Deano

What size area are you trying to cover? Maybe you have too much WiFi.

OE

Its a small area maybe 1800 feet. Since I'm new to this, why would a smaller area matter? We have quite a few devices connected at any time from 15-20 including tv's, cell phones and other devices. One of my concerns is to make sure I can keep my Ring doorbells connected with a good RSSI. From what I understand from Ring, the lower the number the better and it seems like with the two nodes it helps with the Ring. I can see that everything connects well based on where the nodes are located.

What is too much wifi?
Thanks!

Where are the physical nodes located? It will most likely connect to the closest one and/or the one with the highest signal.

That what it looks like it is doing. Just thought both of the nodes would connect to the main router.
Thanks,

Its a small area maybe 1800 feet. Since I'm new to this, why would a smaller area matter? We have quite a few devices connected at any time from 15-20 including tv's, cell phones and other devices. One of my concerns is to make sure I can keep my Ring doorbells connected with a good RSSI. From what I understand from Ring, the lower the number the better and it seems like with the two nodes it helps with the Ring. I can see that everything connects well based on where the nodes are located.

What is too much wifi?
Thanks!

One 86U can cover 1800 sq. ft. I have two covering a 2 acre lot.

With too much signal, your clients including AiMesh nodes can have too many options. I doubt you need more than two 86Us spread wide apart.

Have you tried using a WiFi Analyzer app to roughly assess signal power and coverage? You need to sort out/confirm your radio coverage first before connectivity, since one affects the other.

OE

So I basically have 3 mesh units for a 1200 sq/ft area, but the problem I might be getting is interference between each router.
I notice I need to disconnect wifi and reconnect to find the right router to connect to.

If you can locate the main router in a central location, you can sell off the other two.

Or, you can sell all three and have an RT-AX88U instead. :)

If you can locate the main router in a central location, you can sell off the other two.

Or, you can sell all three and have an RT-AX88U instead. :)
I'm thinking that too. My 88U is in a corner, of my room because I need my desktop to be connected via Ethernet.
So the mesh nodes are to provide wifi to the rest of the devices in the home. I wish my house was newer and had ethernet wiring running through the walls...