What's new

adding an access point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

prometheus

Occasional Visitor
ok i have just switched over to wireless N and found i need to be in the 5ghz range for this to work, however i can now not get my iphone or ipod touch to see the network so i am considering adding an access point.

currently i have a GS108t switch connected to my wrt320n router and was wondering if i am likely to see any issues adding an access point and witch model to go for. ???? :D

802.11G technology is mature and generally works well. I would go with an inexpensive router and then make it work as an AP only. There's an article here on SN Builder which tells how this is done(very easy).

You could use just about anything that's inexpensive and easy for you to get locally, a Linksys WRT54g, Netgear WGR614 etc would work fine.

A dedicated unit? You mean something that's sold as an AP like the Linksys WAP54G? You could go that route but most of the time a wireless AP is more expensive than the virtually identical router model from most companies. It really makes no difference otherwise since if you use the router you'll be able to shut off all the stuff which makes it a router, stuff you won't need because the WRT320N is the router for your network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!