What's new

Adding the AC5300 to the Zen Wi-Fi XT8 Mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sunny Unni

Occasional Visitor
Hi. I am getting my Zen Wi-Fi XT8 mesh system with 2 routers by tomorrow and it will replace my existing mesh system which is an AC5300 and an AC68U connected via Ethernet forming a mesh system. My question is that once the new Zen wifi xt8 system gets installed can I add the existing AC5300 wirelessly to this mesh system to fill in dead spots ? For example the zen wifi system routers will be placed at 2 corners of my home connected via Ethernet (backhaul). In the Center of our home is the kitchen where I wanted to place the AC5300 router but it would be connected wirelessly as I don’t have the provision to run an Ethernet cable. Will this system work together as a mesh and would there be any issues using the Zen wifi 6ghz system and the ac5300 5ghz system together ? Hope my question was clear ? Illustration attached for clarity.
4E8D5469-F19A-44D0-A4BF-9A1F537785BC.jpeg
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi. I am getting my Zen Wi-Fi XT8 mesh system with 2 routers by tomorrow and it will replace my existing mesh system which is an AC5300 and an AC68U connected via Ethernet forming a mesh system. My question is that once the new Zen wifi xt8 system gets installed can I add the existing AC5300 wirelessly to this mesh system to fill in dead spots ? For example the zen wifi system routers will be placed at 2 corners of my home connected via Ethernet (backhaul). In the Center of our home is the kitchen where I wanted to place the AC5300 router but it would be connected wirelessly as I don’t have the provision to run an Ethernet cable. Will this system work together as a mesh and would there be any issues using the Zen wifi 6ghz system and the ac5300 5ghz system together ? Hope my question was clear ? Illustration attached for clarity. View attachment 40886 Thanks.

There can always be issues, so keep it simple, if you can... I would install the wired Zen AiMesh and evaluate coverage. If you need more WiFi, add the 5300 as a wireless node... but beware having too much WiFi for your space and the admin overhead of maintaining different models. I have no tri-band experience, but I suspect you will want to use the 5-2 WLANs as dedicated wireless backhaul for the 5300... and not daisy-chained through the Zen node, if this can be avoided.

OE

Thanks OE. You are right. I will take it one step at a time. Will first connect the XT8s via Ethernet and see the coverage. Then will check adding the AC5300 if it’s even required. Thanks again.

The XT8 can use mesh connections only onto these two wifi:
- 2.4Ghz
- 5.0Ghz on channels 100-140
The other 5.0ghz network (channels 36-64) is NOT usable by mesh system

So, beware... if AC5300 cannot use 5.0Ghz from channel 100 to 140 it will connect to the mesh using the 2.4Ghz wifi

Thanks for that info. Will keep in mind. Hopefully I won’t even need to use the AC5300 at all. I am getting the XT8 mesh system tomorrow and will install then take a call on the AC5300 addition.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!