What's new

AdGuard v. Cloudflare

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I'm just wondering how AdGuard DNS compares with Cloudflare for security. For instance, is it as good at protecting the user from landing on malicious websites? Also, does it use DoT and if so, what does one need to put in the appropriate field on the WAN page of the router?

These are my current settings for Cloudflare:
Screenshot - 14_10_2023 , 20_21_03.png

I'm just wondering how AdGuard DNS compares with Cloudflare for security. For instance, is it as good at protecting the user from landing on malicious websites? Also, does it use DoT and if so, what does one need to put in the appropriate field on the WAN page of the router?

These are my current settings for Cloudflare:
View attachment 53644
If you go for AdGuard - specifically the ad-blocking DNSs - you’ll likely run into situations where some links just refuse to open, but you won’t be able to do anything about it.

I’d consider using AdGuard Home instead. It’s installable via the AMTM menu. AGH is fully configurable: you can set any DNS providers you like, then define exactly which blocking rules you want to apply. You can also block/allow a pretty big range of web services.

Fantastic software. I installed it on a free Oracle VPS before it was available via Merlin. Super quick and haven’t seen a pesky ad in a couple of years.

More info:

If you go for AdGuard - specifically the ad-blocking DNSs - you’ll likely run into situations where some links just refuse to open, but you won’t be able to do anything about it.

I’d consider using AdGuard Home instead. It’s installable via the AMTM menu. AGH is fully configurable: you can set any DNS providers you like, then define exactly which blocking rules you want to apply. You can also block/allow a pretty big range of web services.

Fantastic software. I installed it on a free Oracle VPS before it was available via Merlin. Super quick and haven’t seen a pesky ad in a couple of years.

More info:
Thanks. I'll look into that tomorrow.

There was a comparison a while back of filtering DNS services. As I recall, Cloudflare Security was low on the list. Quad9 did better but for me is not as reliable as Cloudflare Security. With that said I get very few blocks via AiProtect.
Use what works for you. When my Pi3 is freed up in a week I may go back to Pi-Hole with just the malware block list and 1.1.1.2 1.0.0.2.

More info:
Installation and configuration look very complicated from the posts I have seen on the main AdGuard threads. Is there a simple beginners' guide about how to set it up and also, how to return things to how they were before installation (in the event of a change of mind about using it)? Also, if I understand correctly, the 128GB Samsung flash drive that I currently have connected to my router would not be suitable for running AdGuard - is that correct?

Last edited:
Installation and configuration look very complicated from the posts I have seen on the main AdGuard threads. Is there a complete beginners' guide about how to set it up and also, how to return things to how they were before installation (in the event of a change of mind about using it)? Also, if I understand correctly, the 128GB Samsung flash drive that I currently have connected to my router would not be suitable for running AdGuard - is that correct?
I'm not well placed to advise since I installed AGH on a VPS, not Merlin. Perhaps somebody on the AGH thread could get you started.

Installation and configuration look very complicated from the posts I have seen on the main AdGuard threads. Is there a simple beginners' guide about how to set it up and also, how to return things to how they were before installation (in the event of a change of mind about using it)? Also, if I understand correctly, the 128GB Samsung flash drive that I currently have connected to my router would not be suitable for running AdGuard - is that correct?
You need to have some capabilities to setup and configure 2 things:
1. The adguardhome setup. Lots of how to guides and step by steps, google.
2. The client config. Once you have above adguard setup completed, you'll know the IP you need to put in your dhcp server.

If what I just wrote doesn't make sense, some more reading / learning maybe required before you try to set this up.

Just my $0.02

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!