What's new

AdGuardHome AdGuardHome Blocklists

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for your input mate. Are you talking about all of his lists together or are you talking about specific ones? He has quite a few.
I use all of them along with his recommendations for other lists:

1712014046802.png

And these are my stats for the last 90 days:

1712013938973.png

I’ve been running like this for well over a year and had to whitelist very little (literally a couple handful of domains).

Enjoy. You don’t need to use all the lists when it comes to the blocklists - just pick the one that suits your blocking methodology.
I agree. I will also go further to say don't worry about overlapping entries because when adguardhome processes the final list it should be removing the duplicates as well. It is inevitable that some lists may have a couple of the same entries. Adguardhome developers know this, that is why they have a method for removing duplicates before the final list is generated.

I agree. I will also go further to say don't worry about overlapping entries because when adguardhome processes the final list it should be removing the duplicates as well. It is inevitable that some lists may have a couple of the same entries. Adguardhome developers know this, that is why they have a method for removing duplicates before the final list is generated.

Not entirely true I don't think.

For example, if you look at Hagezi's Ultimate list, looking at the RAW text file in GitHub it lists 181,222 domains - and when loaded into AGH, it also show 181,222 domains.

I know for a fact domains in there overlap with 1Hosts Pro, but again this list shows 167,704 domains in the RAW text file, and 167,704 in AGH's blocklist interface.

An example would be the domain ||events.data.microsoft.com^ - checking this domain in the Custom Filtering sections shows the domain blocked by 1Hosts Pro - but if I were to check again randomly on a different day/time, it would show it blocked by Hagezi's list, even when present in the 1Host Pro list still...

1712069973514.png

Last edited:
Not entirely true I don't think.

For example, if you look at Hagezi's Ultimate list, looking at the RAW text file in GitHub it lists 181,222 domains - and when loaded into AGH, it also show 181,222 domains.

I know for a fact domains in there overlap with 1Hosts Pro, but again this list shows 167,704 domains in the RAW text file, and 167,704 in AGH's blocklist interface.

An example would be the domain ||events.data.microsoft.com^ - checking this domain in the Custom Filtering sections shows the domain blocked by 1Hosts Pro - but if I were to check again randomly on a different day/time, it would show it blocked by Hagezi's list, even when present in the 1Host Pro list still...

View attachment 57628
Obviously there are going to be some minor discrepancies too. I just wouldn't stress too much about it unless it is causing you false positives or too much memory usage. But I can tell you they do try remove all exact duplicates between lists. Especially if you are selecting lists they have on their lists selection menu. I cannot say that is entirely true for lists of different formatting or different subdomain levels.

Last edited:
Memory usage isn’t an issue for me as not running it on my router.

But yes - large lists will cause issues with lower-end routers and eat up RAM /CPU when updating especially.

What you could do is load the lists into one file or merge them into one file. Then you sort the entries in the file alphabetically and look for dupes and delete them. Going to suck to do this though with 100.000s entries.

What you could do is load the lists into one file or merge them into one file. Then you sort the entries in the file alphabetically and look for dupes and delete them. Going to suck to do this though with 100.000s entries.
You could just use adguardhomes hostlistcompiler it even has options for deduplicate.

You can read all about it here:

Where would you host that file?

How will you update it with additions and removals?

It was 'in theory'.. :D😂:p

Btw, do the DNS blocklists get updated automatically or do you always have to do that manually? If it's not automatically is there a script available that does it for you?

Why don't you take a look at your AdGuard Home GUI first?

1712531432755.png

This is right on top of General Settings page. What does it do?

I always take a look first before I ask something otherwise I wouldn't be asking. However I overlooked that settings, we are human and we can make mistakes and we learn from them.

This may be helpful for further questions you may have about AdGuard Home:

This may be helpful for further questions you may have about AdGuard Home:

Thank you very much! I will dig through there. I just started with AsusWRT-Merlin so it's still pretty new to me. Sad though that the Asus GT-AXE 16000 will reach end of support at the end of this year, I was just getting started.. sniffles.

Sad though that the Asus GT-AXE 16000 will reach end of support at the end of this year

Where did you get this information from?