What's new

ADSL modem with bridge mode for long line (UK)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chunkers

Occasional Visitor
ADSL ethernet modem for long line

I live in a rural area in the UK and have ADSL broadband (not ADSL2), I am about 5km from the exchange and originally had problems with noisy line / dropping connections. I tried a Draytek 2600 and then a Netgear 834G both of which performed terribly and then was advised by my ISP (ZEN) to get a Speedtouch 585 v6. I bought one of these on ebay for £9.99 and it has been rock solid for years. I believe the success has been down to the Broadcomm chipset and sturdy design.

I am now planning an adsl modem connected in bridge mode to a home-build Pfsense or ClearOs router, I am initially testing Pfsense on a laptop (its impressive) and want to buy a suitable adsl modem or cheap router which I can use in bridge mode. My main objective here is to make full use of the web content and blacklist functions as I have children in the house. If the laptop proves successful then I will probably put together an Atom based homebuild.

Given my relatively poor line I am tending towards a Speedtouch 510 v6 (cheap to find on ebay) which has the Broadcomm 6348 chipset which works well here.

The other options I have considered are the Billion 7800N and the TP-Link 8960N both of which I believe also have the Broadcomm chips, its a shame to buy them just for the modem though.

I would prefer a purpose-made small ethernet modem rather than a gimped router. I am avoiding the Draytek 120 which, although well reviewed, is poor value and an Infineon chipset.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced ethernet adsl modem with good noisy / long line performance?

Any other suggestions welcome.

Chunks :D

Last edited:
I used a Draytek Vigor 100 for many years and it was a nice bit of kit but as you say expensive, and I later had firmware issues and they seemed to stop supporting it. I switched to a cheapo 1-port D-Link adsl modem/router that supported bridge mode, and it worked great. I was using it solely as a modem in conjunction with a Linksys router flashed with Tomato firmware.