What's new

Advice for 1Gbs/40Mbs Comcast

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think you will be happier using UniFi over consumer gear for all the reasons stated above. You can have higher densities for more WiFi devices using separate APs and more of them. You should inherit roaming by using all UniFi wireless.

I setup 3 Cisco wireless APs for my daughter's house using their AT&T router modem. I was going to buy a router and replace the AT&T router but it worked well and I never did. So you could use your ISP's router modem with a UniFi wireless network. The ISP keeps the latest firmware on their router modem. This is providing you can turn off WiFi on the router/modem.

So the question is can you turn off the ASUS wireless? Is it still supported firmware? Make sure you have the latest. It may be a time to switch over to a UniFi router more family friendly. Using an UniFi router you will be able to add guest networks and IoT networks and things the ASUS does not support. This is more advanced networking but doable.
Thanks for chiming in! I'm very interested in getting all the various IoT devices on their own network (VLAN?) as I've wanted to understand better their impact on my network and have some concerns about their security vulnerabilities. Hopefully that is something I can figure out how to configure.

I can turn off the WiFi on the Asus, but I'd need to have a replacement wireless option to cover this part of the house. Looking at the FlexHD and NanoHD as possibilities. I am running the latest firmware and I believe it is still supported.

For LAN and WLAN, especially since you've already got a UniFi switch, per @Val D. 's suggestion, I'd eighty-six the consumer gear and go all-in on UniFi, arguably the single easiest product to give an average Joe a pro-ish level local network.

For the WAN side of things, again, I'd lose the 68U and do a USG or USG-PRO-4 if you want a UniFi-controllable gateway (the UniFi Dream Machine / UDM Pro are not production ready yet and have all kinds of bugs, despite the fact that many give glowing remarks...). Both USG's will run Smart Queue on that 40Mb upload, while you can leave download off. Alternatively, you could run an EdgeRouter 4, or if you prefer another gateway/firewall solution altogether, like pfSense, etc., run that or whatever *nix distro on some cheap x86 hardware (used Dell/HP/Lenovo SFF box + multi-NIC card, Qotom/Protectli appliance, etc.).

The above approach will give you a rock-solid network of discrete components that, as I like to say, will run more like an appliance and less like a toy.
Sorry to necro this older thread, but I'm looking at adding my outdoor AP and Amazon has a deal to add the USG to the AP, so I started reading up on the USG and ER's. One thing I found is that if I turn on more than one or two of the USG features, I could sacrifice significant amounts of my 1 gbps Comcast Internet connection speed. Have others found that as well or is that no longer a problem? I really want to stay in the Unifi Controller space if I can.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!