What's new

Advice for a newbie

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kristinar

New Around Here
Networking is unfortunately one of those things that give me an instant headache. However, I'm thinking of upgrading my existing 802.11g network and going with an n router. Here is my current setup:

I live in an old house with very solid walls. We have a computer on the first level which is wired to an older Linksys b/g router. From there, we have CAT5 running upstairs to our second floor media room. It connects to an ethernet switch, to which is wired a Roku movie streaming box, a Squeezebox, and my DirecTV DVR. I also have connected a Linksys access point, in order to extend my wireless range in the house. This is working well, and we can use laptops in every room, including the third floor above.

We have two new laptops, both with wireless n adapters, and also are adding a second Roku box in a third floor bedroom which would be wireless. So the question is what router/access point to replace my existing Linksys gear. I see that the new thing is dual band, but I also understand that the range of the 5 Ghz band is not great through walls, etc. So I'm wondering if I need that. I also want something with a USB port, as I'm thinking of adding NAS as a music server in the future. So far, the Netgear 3700 looks like a good choice, but I'm sure there are others to consider. But I doubt I can get a good signal up in our third floor. So, can I pair it with an access point as I'm doing now? If so, which one? I'm very open to suggestions, and it is quite possible that I'm approaching my setup completely wrong. If so, fire away!

Thanks!
Kristina

It may be more hassle to install, but you'll be happiest if you run Ethernet up to the 3rd floor. Although the Roku's bandwidth requirements are modest, so you might be ok with using even 11g for streaming.

I wouldn't bother using the "NAS" features on routers. Although the WNDR3700's is one of the fastest I've seen, it doesn't compare to what you'll get from even an inexpensive current-generation NAS.

I'd just run Ethernet up to the 3rd floor, then get an inexpensive N router and convert it to an AP for wireless coverage up there.

It may be more hassle to install, but you'll be happiest if you run Ethernet up to the 3rd floor. Although the Roku's bandwidth requirements are modest, so you might be ok with using even 11g for streaming.

I wouldn't bother using the "NAS" features on routers. Although the WNDR3700's is one of the fastest I've seen, it doesn't compare to what you'll get from even an inexpensive current-generation NAS.

I'd just run Ethernet up to the 3rd floor, then get an inexpensive N router and convert it to an AP for wireless coverage up there.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, it would be extremely impractical to run ethernet to the third floor in our house. So I really do need to think about a wireless solution. The distance from the access point on the second floor to the Roku on the third would be about 35 feet, through a ceiling. Let's say that I did decide on the Netgear 3700 as my router. What would be a good access point to pair with that? Or should I get a second 3700 and configure it as an AP?

Since you have lots of g clients, you want to add N, not replace G.
Add, Don't Replace When Upgrading to 802.11n

But I just reread that you currently can use your notebooks on the third floor. Have you tried the Roku box up there with the current setup.

If it works fine, you don't have to do anything for the N notebooks. They'll work fine on G.

Since you have lots of g clients, you want to add N, not replace G.
Add, Don't Replace When Upgrading to 802.11n

But I just reread that you currently can use your notebooks on the third floor. Have you tried the Roku box up there with the current setup.

If it works fine, you don't have to do anything for the N notebooks. They'll work fine on G.

The G clients are wired, and will stay that way. The new Roku box is on the way, so I will try it with the existing setup when I get it. I guess I neglected to say that the impetus for changing the router/access point is that the WRTG54 v.4 router needs to be reset after the smallest blip in electricity. Plus, getting these new N laptops.

The G clients are wired, and will stay that way.
I'm confused now. You said in the first post that you can use laptops in all rooms, even 3rd floor.

If you're going to use only N clients, then you can go for a single band N router if the new Roku is also N (the HD XR model). If you're going to be using G and N clients at the same time, you should keep the G clients on the G AP, or performance for both will suffer (as per the "Add, don't replace..." article).

I don't think you need dual-band since you don't seem to have interference issues and 5 GHz range will be lower than 2.4. The best N router I've seen for range is the ASUS RT-N13U.

No matter which one you get, I'd put it on a UPS to address your power glitch issue.

I'm confused now. You said in the first post that you can use laptops in all rooms, even 3rd floor.

If you're going to use only N clients, then you can go for a single band N router if the new Roku is also N (the HD XR model). If you're going to be using G and N clients at the same time, you should keep the G clients on the G AP, or performance for both will suffer (as per the "Add, don't replace..." article).

I don't think you need dual-band since you don't seem to have interference issues and 5 GHz range will be lower than 2.4. The best N router I've seen for range is the ASUS RT-N13U.

No matter which one you get, I'd put it on a UPS to address your power glitch issue.

I'm so sorry if I'm unclear. Thanks for your patient help! OK. Right now, the G clients are wired. The only wireless clients will all be N (two laptops and a new Roku). It does seem like dual band would not be the way to go, since my issue is one of range, and signals getting through solid materials.

Can I mate this ASUS with my old Linksys G router and use it as a wireless N access point?

Can I mate this ASUS with my old Linksys G router and use it as a wireless N access point?
Sure. You can do that with any wireless router (How To Convert a Wireless Router into an Access Point).

The ASUS also has physical and software switches to change among router, repeater and AP modes.

Again, you don't have to get an N router if you have N clients. They'll work at G speeds with a G router just fine. You just won't get the higher speeds.

Sure. You can do that with any wireless router (How To Convert a Wireless Router into an Access Point).

The ASUS also has physical and software switches to change among router, repeater and AP modes.

Again, you don't have to get an N router if you have N clients. They'll work at G speeds with a G router just fine. You just won't get the higher speeds.

OK, this is sounding good. So the N "access point" would perform just as well wired to the old G router because it's (duh) wired. I was hoping to get better range with the N in order to stream to the Roku. And, I'm sick of resetting the Linksys (but yeah, a UPS would be the ticket) Hmmm. So I could do that, or just get two of these Asus routers, since they are cheap!

I asked about the USB, because I am planning on burning my CDs in FLAC to use with the Squeezebox. I was hoping to implement some kind of NAS thingie for the music server (or maybe just use something like the Vortexbox).

N doesn't give you better range than G. It provides higher throughput at a given distance than G as long as you have a medium to strong signal. When the signal gets weak, N switches modes to act just like G (and even 802.11B).

And if you're going for range, leave the N router in its default 20 MHz bandwidth mode. Switching to 40 MHz bandwidth can give you less reliable operation under weak signal conditions.

If you're going to run Squeezecenter, you want a NAS that can run it anyway. Router "NASes" are mostly just for file sharing only.

N doesn't give you better range than G. It provides higher throughput at a given distance than G as long as you have a medium to strong signal. When the signal gets weak, N switches modes to act just like G (and even 802.11B).

And if you're going for range, leave the N router in its default 20 MHz bandwidth mode. Switching to 40 MHz bandwidth can give you less reliable operation under weak signal conditions.

If you're going to run Squeezecenter, you want a NAS that can run it anyway. Router "NASes" are mostly just for file sharing only.

Thank you for all your help. Before I make my decision and purchase, it seems like you would recommend the Asus rt-n13u (or two) over other routers? Price isn't really a consideration; I just want good range (through walls) and a stable connection.

Thank you for all your help. Before I make my decision and purchase, it seems like you would recommend the Asus rt-n13u (or two) over other routers?
Unfortunately, I can't provide guarantees on range and performance, since every wireless environment is different.

What I can say is that the RT-N13U performed better in my test environment than most other wireless N router's that I've seen.

The main argument against the ASUS is that they aren't a major networking product vendor and seem to be slow to release new firmware for bugfixing and feature improvement. I also don't know what their U.S. service support is like for networking. Note, however, that most people don't have good things to say about support for any of the major networking product vendors anyway.

Price isn't really a consideration; I just want good range (through walls) and a stable connection.
Doesn't everyone? :)
Again, there are no guarantees with wireless and N can create more problems than it solves. So be prepared to try a few routers (check your retailer's return and restock policies) until you find something that works for you. You may be better off buying something you can return from a local store (Office Depot's return policies are pretty good) vs. mail-order.

Unfortunately, I can't provide guarantees on range and performance, since every wireless environment is different.

What I can say is that the RT-N13U performed better in my test environment than most other wireless N router's that I've seen.

The main argument against the ASUS is that they aren't a major networking product vendor and seem to be slow to release new firmware for bugfixing and feature improvement. I also don't know what their U.S. service support is like for networking. Note, however, that most people don't have good things to say about support for any of the major networking product vendors anyway.

Doesn't everyone? :)
Again, there are no guarantees with wireless and N can create more problems than it solves. So be prepared to try a few routers (check your retailer's return and restock policies) until you find something that works for you. You may be better off buying something you can return from a local store (Office Depot's return policies are pretty good) vs. mail-order.

Got it. Just one more question (I promise!). My DirecTV DVR will soon have multi-room viewing capability. One of the requirements is a network capable of sustained 40Mbps transfers. Would the Asus, or pretty much any N router be able to do this wirelessly, given my physical layout? Thanks again.

Got it. Just one more question (I promise!). My DirecTV DVR will soon have multi-room viewing capability. One of the requirements is a network capable of sustained 40Mbps transfers. Would the Asus, or pretty much any N router be able to do this wirelessly, given my physical layout? Thanks again.
That seems like a pretty high requirement. A DirecTV HD signal doesn't use anywhere near that bandwidth given the compression they use.

At any rate, you're unlikely to get a rock-steady 40 Mbps connection using any N router up to your 3rd floor.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!