What's new

Advice on new home wireless layout

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

imwired

New Around Here
Hi there

I would like some advice on my plans of rebuilding my home wireless network.
Currently, I've got a router (DIR 625) in the top floor or second storey and I've got 5 laptops that need to connect to it.

Problem: I've noticed that the wi fi connection is brutal, i.e. even though the signal strength is excellent, the connection appears to be dropping frequently for laptops on the main floor.

2nd Problem: I'm moving my study room to the basement of the house and I need to figure out a way to ensure that the wi-fi network is of an "acceptable" quality around the entire house.

My solution: Buy a DIR-655 router in the basement and leave the DIR-625 in the 2nd floor to act as an access point.
Additionally, buy a range extender and have that placed on the main floor.

Q 1: Is this overkill?
Q 2: Is it possible to configure the older laptops (g) to connect to the AP and have the newer ones (n) connect to the router, i.e. DIR-655?

Your suggestions and input are greatly appreciated!
I've attached a jpeg image of my plan for the layout...hopefully, it should make things clearer.

Cheers

Attachments

• network_plan.jpg
    network_plan.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 273
Attached is a simple layout of using Belkin N+ with two external switch in basement network closet. Two floors up there is a secondary Belkin N+ used as AP. The only reason I use a second router as AP is because I live in older home where the basement single does not reach the upper floors into the attic.

Attachments

• my2010net.jpg
    my2010net.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
I would not use a "range extender". Try it with just the router and AP. If coverage isn't good enough, then add a 2nd AP connected via Ethernet. "range extenders" will cut your throughput for clients that connect to it by > 50% because a single radio must receive, then retransmit.

great info

Thanks guys!
tipstir: your layout's fantastic
thiggins: I did not know that about the range extender.
My objective is to hard wire the AP anyway, so hopefully, that should do the trick.
Thanks for the info!

Cheers
imwired

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!