What's new

Advice Requested - MoCA network not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarkIV

New Around Here
Hello all,

I am seeking advice/help on getting my home MoCA network operating. I have tried Googling/searching for an answer and followed some advice I have come across but it doesn't seem to be working. I have not contacted any manufacturer and will do so if no solution can be found here in the forums.

Context:
I recently moved into a rental property, a three storey townhouse. In my very rough diagram I have labeled the levels Lower, Main and Upper. The ISP is Comcast/Xfinity. My intent is to have my modem/router connected on the Main level and run Wi-Fi (which I currently do) for handheld devices, streaming etc. and then run a basic MoCA setup allowing a wired/ethernet connection on the upper level to my desktop. The reason for this is to enjoy a faster connection without any WIFI interference. No cable TV is to be connected.

The cable box is outside the lower level and as you can see in the attached picture, is a bit of a mess. There is the 'inbound' coax from the ISP when feeds into an Extreme branded 3-way splitter. The three 'outbound' coax cables then go to the respective levels of the house, giving an access point on every level. The cable for the Upper level runs external to the house before entering.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk C7000 modem/router (DOCSIS 3.0 if that matters). This was originally plugged into the coax on the Main level and internet connectivity both wireless and wired was fine. I did note there was a coax filter/POE filer attached to the coax coming from the wall.

The two MoCA adapters I am using are Actiontec ECB6250K02 MoCa 2.5 network adapters.

Initially I connected the coax to the first MoCA adapter on the main level by coax, with the filter attached, then ethernet to the NetGear M/R. The second MoCA adapter was connected to coax on the upper level. This set-up did not work and upon research, realised the filter needed to be on the outside of the home network, i.e. at the point of entry from the ISP to prevent data flowing off residence so to speak.

I also noted that the splitter in the box was rated 5-1000Mhz. upon some reading my understanding is that I needed a broader range to support MoCA. I am aware that a number of posters have recommended Holland splitters but due to delivery time and wanting to sort this sooner than later I ordered and received a BAMF 6-way bi-directional splitter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KCY5MBU/?tag=snbforums-20

I replaced the Extreme splitter with the BAMF, with the filter on the incoming connection. I connected the upper and main level coax. On the main level, the MoCA adapter was connected to coax, then ethernet to Netgear M/R. On the upper level, the second MoCA adapater was connected to coax. Whilst I get a green indicator on both adapters for the coax and ethernet connections, my modem/router never seems to receive internet. The ethernet light is lit, but the downloading/downstream icon remains flashing.

I have tried unplugging, resetting and all that. I have tested the MoCA adapters by connecting them separately to the modem/router by ethernet and coax and get solid green lights indicating no fault. I have connected the modem/router to the coax on the upper level and receive internet both wired and wirelss no problem, but as soon as I try the MoCA network with my modem/router, it never connects.

So from here:

1. Am I missing something obvious?
  2. Could it be an issue with filter and do I need to replace it (I can supply a photo)?
  3. Is there any setting I need to change on my modem/router ? I have tried to find information on this but have been unsuccessful.
  4. Is it an issue with the splitter? Noting I put a 6-way in due to time constraints, do I need to only use a splitter for the number of connections I will use (there is an unused coax in the box, I believe this is a second upper level connection potentially as there are other coax points which don't connect to the internet currently)
  5. Could it be faulty or inadequate coax cables? I don't know the wiring of the house at all beyond the information I have provided, so I am not ware or can confirm if there are any splitters behind walls, and I am not sure if there are different spec coax that could affect this.
As an update, I tried the Starburst 2-way splitter included with the MoCA adapters at the point of entry to no avail, still just a flashing light on the modem/router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

Attachments

• Wiring diagram.pdf
    51.1 KB · Views: 260
  • Overall diagram.pdf
    52.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Splitter.jpg
    Splitter.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 247
  • Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
You need a moca rated splitter in front of your modem. Connect the coax you have going into the actiontec into the input side of the splitter. Then one downstream leg to the modem and the other leg to the actiontec. Connect the ethernet port on the actiontec to a lan port on the cable modem/router.

actiontec should have provided a drawing showing this setup.

the other issue may be band overlap depending on what frequencies the doccis3.0 modem Xfinity/comcast service. Doccis 3.0usually does not interfere with moca2.0. Check what bands actiontec 2.5 is using and what bands your modem is using. Xfinity used to have some support pages that gave diagrams of how to make the two systems work together using their equipment. Maybe they are still available somewhere.

btw, doccis 3.1 is likely to interfere with moca 2.5 and you will have to shift the moca2.5 to D high giving up a little bandwidth in the process. Check actiontecs support pages to see if you can shift it in the configuration. Doccis 3.1 comes into play ifyougo for gigabit serviceor some high bandwidth service.

btw, you do want to use a splitter at the demarc box with just enough ports. More ports equals more signal loss through the splitter which can affect the signal to your modem. So replace that 6 port with a 3 port + inlet and a little patience.
at a minimum you have to cap the unused ports with 75 ohm termination caps to avoid noise and other signal issues.

Last edited:
Thanks so much degrub.

You need a moca rated splitter in front of your modem. Connect the coax you have going into the actiontec into the input side of the splitter. Then one downstream leg to the modem and the other leg to the actiontec. Connect the ethernet port on the actiontec to a lan port on the cable modem/router.

This fixed it. I replaced the 6-way outside with the 2-way Starburst. Inside I used the 6-way (temporarily as I do have a 3-way coming and will swap them all out). I ran wall coax into splitter, coax to both Actiontec and modem/router, ethernet between the two devices and everything is fine.

actiontec should have provided a drawing showing this setup.

I have supplied a photo of the diagram. The diagram only showed ethernet between Actiontec and modem/router, with a splitter used to go to TV. I assumed because I am not using a cable TV service, I didn't require the splitter. Even so, I would not have run coax between splitter and modem/router as the diagram didn't advise this. I may have come across wiring diagrams during my research that showed another coax, these diagrams may have been for separate modem and router unites. My networking knowledge is very basic.

the other issue may be band overlap depending on what frequencies the doccis3.0 modem Xfinity/comcast service. Doccis 3.0usually does not interfere with moca2.0. Check what bands actiontec 2.5 is using and what bands your modem is using. Xfinity used to have some support pages that gave diagrams of how to make the two systems work together using their equipment. Maybe they are still available somewhere.

btw, doccis 3.1 is likely to interfere with moca 2.5 and you will have to shift the moca2.5 to D high giving up a little bandwidth in the process. Check actiontecs support pages to see if you can shift it in the configuration. Doccis 3.1 comes into play ifyougo for gigabit serviceor some high bandwidth service.

This part is all above my head at the moment, but seeing as the network is now working and I am getting the required/expected speed on the upper level wired connection, I am happy.

btw, you do want to use a splitter at the demarc box with just enough ports. More ports equals more signal loss through the splitter which can affect the signal to your modem. So replace that 6 port with a 3 port + inlet and a little patience.
at a minimum you have to cap the unused ports with 75 ohm termination caps to avoid noise and other signal issues.

Good to know. I figured something like that may be the case. As above, when I receive the 3-way, I'll put that in the box and can cap the unused port. I'll move the 2-way Starburst into the room with the modem/router.

Thanks again degrub, I am glad I came here to ask, I was getting frustrated with it all and my girlfriend was ready to kill me for constantly disconnecting the internet to try and solve the issue.

Attachments

• Actiontec instructions.jpg
    Actiontec instructions.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 306

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!