What's new

Advice to change wifi 6 / 7 router (asus)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daniel W

New Around Here
Hi all,

Currently I'm using GT-AC 5300 aimesh with 2 RT-AC 5300 internet speed 500Mbps (maybe will upgrade to 1Gbps) in double story 1920sqft each floor. I have 2 laptop and 2 android compatible wifi 6. Besides, 2 smart tv and ds220+ nas. I'm think that should I upgrade to wifi 6 router or directly to wifi 7?
Which asus model should I get?

Thanks

Last edited:
With no other information provided whatsoever:

- 3x GT-AX11000 Pro, closest Wi-Fi 6 new model replacement for your current 3x tri-band models.

If you want to become a beta tester with early Wi-Fi 7 products on early firmware:

- 3x GT-BE96U, similar tri-band with 6GHz Wi-Fi 7 radio, you must be patient and hoping for the best.

With no other information provided whatsoever:

- 3x GT-AX11000 Pro, closest Wi-Fi 6 new model replacement for your current 3x tri-band models.

If you want to become a beta tester with early Wi-Fi 7 products on early firmware:

- 3x GT-BE96U, similar tri-band with 6GHz Wi-Fi 7 radio, you must be patient and hoping for the best.
Thank for the reply.

Actually I'm not a heavy gamer or internet expert. I'm just wish to have a stable wifi at most of the corner. Usually there will be around 3 devices streaming video at the same. After all I'm just thinking should I plan to change to wifi 6 since wifi 7 already out there. If 3x GT-AX11000 Pro will abit overkill for my situation?

I saw few post mention AX88U Pro worth to get it, but I'm not sure its support in MY because it's not release yet. If I bought from oversea will it be supported in MY?

If 3x GT-AX11000 Pro will abit overkill for my situation?

Getting 3x tri-band "gaming" routers was your previous choice for some reason.

I'm not sure its support in MY

I don't know what MY is, but buying routers from a different Wi-Fi region is not a good idea.

since wifi 7 already out there

Early Wi-Fi 7 routers are out there, most not even Wi-Fi 7 certified yet with Draft specifications.

I'm think that should I upgrade to wifi 6 router or directly to wifi 7?

What is your current setup not doing well for you? If it's working properly - just continue using it.

Getting 3x tri-band "gaming" routers was your previous choice for some reason.

I don't know what MY is, but buying routers from a different Wi-Fi region is not a good idea.

Early Wi-Fi 7 routers are out there, most not even Wi-Fi 7 certified yet with Draft specifications.

What is your current setup not doing well for you? If it's working properly - just continue using it.
Actually getting 3x triband router without any reason to be honest. I just got them during promotion previously.

I'm staying at Malaysia and I'm not sure AX88U Pro able to support or not..

Meaning to said should not get wifi 7 router first before they all certified?

Nothing wrong with the current setup, but just sometimes need loading on streaming video and sometimes internet disconnected on few device so have to restart the router then back to normal again. I'm not sure if changing wifi 6 would help on that or I should continue using wifi 5.

I know nothing about Wi-Fi propagation in your specific home, Wi-Fi environment or local RF regulations. My advice was based solely on your previous hardware choices - current direct replacement models from the same manufacturer. What is better to upgrade to next, what is available in your country and how much does it cost - no idea. If you have Ethernet wires around the property you may go with much cheaper dual-band routers or access points, Asus again or other brand popular in your country.

May I know wifi 6 have better wall penetration than my current setup? If not much then I guess better stick with current

May I know wifi 6 have better wall penetration than my current setup?

Wi-Fi 6 uses the same 5GHz band as your current Wi-Fi 5 routers and they have BCM4366(E) radios known for good range. Newer models have improved radios and may give you some more range, but perhaps not the improvement you'd expect after hundreds of dollars in upgrades. What you'll get is firmware support and new features.

Hmm.. I guess not worth to upgrade right now then haha.. One more question I would like to ask, is it possible to connect aimesh system from 1 aimesh node spread to 2 aimesh node by wired?

Hmm.. I guess not worth to upgrade right now then

No current or future Wi-Fi technology will give you significant range expansion from single unit.

One more question I would like to ask, is it possible to connect aimesh system from 1 aimesh node spread to 2 aimesh node by wired?

Yes, this is a valid configuration. Nodes are Access Points (wired) or Repeaters (wireless), AiMesh is a marketing name.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!