What's new

After switching from Netgear router to an ASUS RT-AX55, my wifi has been worse.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pleb

New Around Here
When I first got my new router I was so excited until I started using it. I hopped into Fortnite and my ping was skyrocketing to the thousands place. I went back to the netgear router and my ping was at 30! What is going on? Please help.

Not really enough info to go on. My ping is pretty consistent in FPS games on my Asus router. What ping do you get on speedtest.net? Are we talking wired or wireless? This is the ASUSWRT forum, are you using ASUSWRT or stock firmware?

Not really enough info to go on. My ping is pretty consistent in FPS games on my Asus router. What ping do you get on speedtest.net? Are we talking wired or wireless? This is the ASUSWRT forum, are you using ASUSWRT or stock firmware?
I use wired mostly. On the ASUS speedtest, I get 11 ping but its way higher on the actual speedtest.net.

I use ASUSWRT and we are talking about wired because I mainly use my Ethernet.

Hm. Only time I ever had ping-creep like that when wired was when I was using the router's fancy extended features like QoS and stuff like that. I keep those all turned off now. Sorry, that's all I got for this problem.

Hm. Only time I ever had ping-creep like that when wired was when I was using the router's fancy extended features like QoS and stuff like that. I keep those all turned off now. Sorry, that's all I got for this problem.
I will try that and see if it works. Thanks!

It may be the results of the test at speedtest.net. Running the test with Firefox I get a 6 ms ping and a 122 Mbps download. With the Windows app on the same PC I get a 3 ms ping and a 133 Mbps download. Upload speeds were .01 Mbps different.
Let the Asus router settle in for a couple of hours. Use the WIFI defaults. Start out with Adaptive QOS with automatic settings and see what that does. There have bee reports that the QOS does not always work well if at all. But it is worth a try.
Try this test: https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat

I went back to the netgear router

What model Netgear router do you have?

Asus RT-AX55 is one of the cheapest AX-class models. Entry-level device.

It may be the results of the test at speedtest.net. Running the test with Firefox I get a 6 ms ping and a 122 Mbps download. With the Windows app on the same PC I get a 3 ms ping and a 133 Mbps download. Upload speeds were .01 Mbps different.
Let the Asus router settle in for a couple of hours. Use the WIFI defaults. Start out with Adaptive QOS with automatic settings and see what that does. There have bee reports that the QOS does not always work well if at all. But it is worth a try.
Try this test: https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat
When I do it on my website speedtest, it goes for 0.90 download speed in Mb but when I do it on the asus router website, its 94.22 mbps for download and 23.89 mbps for upload with a ping of 11.03 ms and a jitter of 1.06 ms. Is this normal?

What is your ISP speed? What plan you pay for?

I have a WNR1000 V2

This is a museum piece from 2009. It's 2024 now. Your new RT-AX55 must be better in everything even though it's an entry-level model.

This is a museum piece from 2009. It's 2024 now. Your new RT-AX55 must be better in everything even though it's an entry-level model.
Unfortunately, the RT-AX55 is worse. My mom uses two personal routers on the modem for me and her but ive been having lag spikes since she has so many devices on the internet. So I got my own router and plugged it into her router since there were no more slots on the modem but it performed worse and ive tried tweaking the settings but nothing works. Im starting to think I should just get a better router. On the RT-AX55, my ping goes into the thousands. On the WNR1000 V2, I get a steady 30-10 ping.

The same so many devices are still there. They are all sharing the same ISP line.

You clearly have configuration issues because RT-AX55 is a MUCH faster router than your antique WNR1000. By cascading routers you (and perhaps your mom) created multi-NAT network, your UPnP is no more working and perhaps affecting your gaming, your ~94Mbps speed is perhaps Fast Ethernet connection, etc. multiple suspected issues. You have to call for help someone who knows some networking. It's not just connecting cables here and there. The information you provide is not enough to help you online.

What is this router doing there in first place? It's connected to another router upstream and your devices are mostly wired. Why you need a router and not a switch?

Last edited:
My mom uses two personal routers on the modem for me and her but ive been having lag spikes since she has so many devices on the internet. So I got my own router and plugged it into her router since there were no more slots on the modem but it performed worse and ive tried tweaking the settings but nothing works.
That is likely your problem right there. Likely too many routers in the mix for what ever reason.
Im starting to think I should just get a better router.
Won't solve the multiple router issue you apparently currently have going on with the local network. Rather than throwing more money at it. Why not fix the existing network so it operates properly. Use just ONE router (the RT-AX55) connected to the broadband provider's equipment. Avoid stringing multiple routers behind each other or daisy chaining them. That just introduces problems if they're not configured properly.

Last edited:
best describe how you are set up , how are the router and modem connected ?A better router is not the soloution , a properly set up system is what you need .
More details on how you are set up will get you the help you need

When I first got my new router I was so excited until I started using it. I hopped into Fortnite and my ping was skyrocketing to the thousands place. I went back to the netgear router and my ping was at 30! What is going on? Please help.

You might be in an ARP loop...

Check your WAN IP address, and your local subnet should be in a different scope perhaps...