What's new

Ai Mesh and no 1gb speed on Ethernet help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gamestopper15

New Around Here
So I recently upgraded my internet to 1Gb speeds and I also upgraded to a full Asus Mesh system. My main router that is connected to my modem Located in the basement is the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 (Ver. 3.0.0.4.386_41700-gb567bc9 ) and 2 more nodes both are the RT-AX92U AX6100 (Ver. 3.0.0.4.386_40451-g30f1b6c ). One located in the living room and the 2nd node in my room where I have my PC connected to it via Ethernet. I posted the chain in which they are connected via mesh system. Also, a photo showing that it receives the 1gb PHY Rate under labeled Ethernet it is very slow I do not know if this should be also 1Gb speeds. When I run a speed test my peak speed is between 450 - 550 Download and 350 Upload. I've tested speeds for 1st node in living room is peaking close to 1GB speed (granted this test was at night when none is on besides myself) The Ethernet connected to my node and PC is Cat6 and motherboard is 1gb capable Asus x99 Tuf Sabertooth. Any advice would help Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• pic 1.PNG
    pic 1.PNG
    135.2 KB · Views: 45
  • pic2.PNG
    pic2.PNG
    134.6 KB · Views: 44
You are using wireless backhaul, the speed you getting is in line with what to expect with wifi. Even though your computer is wired. Only way to improve is use ethernet between all nodes.

You are using wireless backhaul, the speed you getting is in line with what to expect with wifi. Even though your computer is wired. Only way to improve is use ethernet between all nodes.

So it doesn't matter if they are all Ax and wifi 6 routers? If not on ethernet I wont get that speed?

No.

Wireless AiMesh? A modern renamed/reimagined Repeater mode that halves your maximum environment-capped wireless speeds each time a node is in use (and if two are in use a quarter of those max speeds, ...).

So it doesn't matter if they are all Ax and wifi 6 routers? If not on ethernet I wont get that speed?

The only way to get wifi6 on the AX92u's would be to wire them together using an ethernet cable. You can then go ahead and enable wifi6 access for the clients. In it's default setup (wireless backhaul) the wifi6 is only used to link the AX92u's together.

If I had the option to just connect all the nodes directly to the main router would i still need to connect the nodes to each other or could they stay separate from one another without ethernet.

@Gamestopper15, you only need to connect the main router and AiMesh nodes to the same (wired) network. Only a single connection is needed from each router that is common for all. Otherwise, you will have other issues such as the Spanning Tree Protocol (See LAN - Switch Control) is meant to prevent.

In your case with a working AiMesh setup, simply plug in an Ethernet LAN cable to each node's WAN Port you want to have wired (I recommend doing it to all, for optimum results). Wait at least 15 minutes to an hour after all have been connected properly via an Ethernet cable and then I would suggest a System Reboot from the AiMesh, System Settings, GUI page.

After rebooting and the network has settled (15 minutes or more), you may want to try setting the Ethernet Backhaul Mode to Yes (on the same GUI page as above). Make sure you do not still have any wirelessly connected AiMesh nodes before doing this (they will be disconnected). After an additional 15 minutes to an hour, after making this change, I would do a System Reboot once more to test and verify that the newly created wired AiMesh node is functioning properly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!