What's new

Aimesh 2.0 vs Router and AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mogulman

Regular Contributor
I have an RT-AC86u router and an RT-AC1900p as an AP. Wired Ethernet between the two. Latest GA Firmware (no merlin currently). Mostly I have PCs, tablets, phones and a lot of smart devices. Using a single SSID right now for both 2.4 and 5.0.

I tried Aimesh 1.0 when it came out in beta and then GA, but never seemed to be that stable or fast. Also, the ability to manage in one place didn't matter to me that much.

Now that Aimesh 2.0 is out, is it worth it to give this another try? I don't really have any issues with my current setup, but I do like tinkering. or should I just stick with what I have?

Jeff

Stick with what you have, unless you want to have the ability to centrally manage. Currently, AiMesh doesn't support putting the nodes on different wifi channels, which your current set up can probably do.

AiMesh should work pretty well for you. I've tested an AC86U with an AC68U with a single SSID/Dual band Smart Connect and it worked well. Set your main router to a fixed 2.4 GHZ channel @ 20 MHZ and the 5 GHZ to channel 36 or 149 @ 80 MHZ. Disable Airtime Fairness and Universal Beam forming for both bands.

Stick with what you have, unless you want to have the ability to centrally manage. Currently, AiMesh doesn't support putting the nodes on different wifi channels, which your current set up can probably do.
Yeah I'm using different channels right now.

I've got dual AC86U routers acting as main/AP at two locations, and it just works. I never have to think about that aspect of my wifi system.