What's new

AiMesh and Smart Connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sleeps1007

Regular Contributor
If I were to disable 2.4Ghz on my main router will it disable the same band on my AiMesh router? If so, is it better if I disable smart connect so that I can specificfy what device I want connected to?

If I were to disable 2.4Ghz on my main router will it disable the same band on my AiMesh router? If so, is it better if I disable smart connect so that I can specificfy what device I want connected to?

Try it and find out. Can't be sure what model and firmware will do what these days.

Smart Connect helps a client connect to the better band/signal of a given node when using same SSIDs. If you disable it and define different SSIDs per band, you then connect your client to the preferred SSID/band manually.

OE

I have an AX88U and AC5300. The AX88U is my main router and they both have the latest merlin firmware.

I'll definitely give it a shot.

My experience is that you can independently enable or disable the WIFI radios on your main router in professional WIFI settings, and the AiMesh nodes using the node management features.

As @OzarkEdge says, Smart Connect is to steer your clients between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. Even with this turned off AiMesh will move your clients between different routers/nodes. Use the binding feature in the AiMesh settings to make your devices use a specific router/node.