What's new

AiMesh Best Settings RT-AC86U 09-2018

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shelleyevans

Regular Contributor
Hi!

I have been running AiMesh happily since some time this summer. For the most part very stable, and I appreciate the improved performance around my house, as well as the simplicity of management. I like robust internet, but really don't like to tinker. Not educated enough, and not enough time!

Recently had stability issues (main router disconnecting periodically), probably because I did not factory reset when upgrading my firmware. This suggests to me that even though some people report no issues, it's a good idea to do a factory reset when upgrading firmware, at least until AiMesh is more stable.

I have been following the "best practices" settings I found from threads on this forum-- but many of those recommendations are from when AiMesh was in its early days. I'm wondering if these are still good choices:

Because I was having trouble with clients sticking to the 2.4GHz network, even when there is a better 5GHz connection available, I disabled Smart Connect. I am using two different network SSID's, for 2.4 and 5.0GHz networks, and let clients choose based on their preference. (That also allows me to keep certain devices in 2.4GHz, leaving 5.0GHz for preferred devices.) I have disabled airtime fairness on both 2.4 and 5.0, and disabled roaming assistant on the 2.4GHz network.

Any thoughts?

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
Hi!

I have been running AiMesh happily since some time this summer. For the most part very stable, and I appreciate the improved performance around my house, as well as the simplicity of management. I like robust internet, but really don't like to tinker. Not educated enough, and not enough time!

Recently had stability issues (main router disconnecting periodically), probably because I did not factory reset when upgrading my firmware. This suggests to me that even though some people report no issues, it's a good idea to do a factory reset when upgrading firmware, at least until AiMesh is more stable.

I have been following the "best practices" settings I found from threads on this forum-- but many of those recommendations are from when AiMesh was in its early days. I'm wondering if these are still good choices:

Because I was having trouble with clients sticking to the 2.5GHz network, even when there is a better 5GHz connection available, I disabled Smart Connect. I am using two different network SSID's, for 2.5 and 5.0GHz networks, and let clients choose based on their preference. (That also allows me to keep certain devices in 2.5GHz, leaving 5.0GHz for preferred devices.) I have disabled airtime fairness on both 2.5 and 5.0, and disabled roaming assistant on the 2.5GHz network.

Any thoughts?

Thank you all in advance!

Your two nodes (68U and 66U) do not support Smart Connect node band steering. So, you have no choice but to use separate SSIDs and 'manual' band steering. Call this half AiMesh.

You've disabled 2.4 GHz Roaming Assistant node steering. Since 2.4 GHz travels far, it's likely those clients will stick wherever they first connect. Call this quarter AiMesh.

At least you still have centralized management and a faster wireless backhaul than with repeater mode.

OE

Last edited:
Your two nodes (68U and 66U) do support Smart Connect node band steering
I assume you mean do NOT support band steering. Which would explain why I couldn't get my clients to jump to the better band!! ;)

Since all of the clients I care about use 5.0, and since 5.0 is working well all over our house now, I declare myself happy with my 1/4 mesh! Thank you.

I assume you mean do NOT support band steering. Which would explain why I couldn't get my clients to jump to the better band!! ;)

Since all of the clients I care about use 5.0, and since 5.0 is working well all over our house now, I declare myself happy with my 1/4 mesh! Thank you.

Yes, corrected. It's funny/sad how I can read more into something than is really there. :)

OE

You've disabled 2.4 GHz Roaming Assistant node steering.
If folks are reading this thread for suggestions about "best practice", I thought I should clarify: I disabled roaming assistant on the 2.4GHz network because my 5.0 GHz devices were sticking to 2.4GHz, but ALSO my elderly father-in-law lives downstairs, and I didn't want his huge number of "smart" devices crowding our 5.0GHz band, and giving me extra IT work. A personal, not technical, limitation. ;)

If folks are reading this thread for suggestions about "best practice", I thought I should clarify: I disabled roaming assistant on the 2.4GHz network because my 5.0 GHz devices were sticking to 2.4GHz, but ALSO my elderly father-in-law lives downstairs, and I didn't want his huge number of "smart" devices crowding our 5.0GHz band, and giving me extra IT work. A personal, not technical, limitation. ;)

Best practices can vary widely as you have noted for your particular situation.

Your devices are likely sticking to the undesired band because you are using nodes that do not support Smart Connect node band steering. And because your devices are configured to connect to separate SSIDs, some of them may be perfectly happy staying put on the undesired band without Smart Connect working to steer them to the better band. This is not a Roaming Assistant node steering issue. This is a Smart Connect node band steering issue... or lack thereof.

I assume you are sharing your network with your father-in-law. If you want his wireless clients to stick to the 2.4 GHz band, then only provide him with the security credentials for the 2.4 GHz band. This is one advantage of using separate SSIDs. This is not a Roaming Assistant node steering issue.

These issues are opposing technical limitations by ASUS. Without Smart Connect support and with separate SSIDs, wireless clients are more likely to stick to a band. With only Dual-Band Smart Connect support and forced common SSIDs, wireless clients can not be made to stick to a band. These are not a Roaming Assistant node steering issue.

OE

Why not just creating a 2G guest SSID only for him with different password?
Thats why we got guest SSIDs ...

Why not just creating a 2G guest SSID only for him with different password?
Thats why we got guest SSIDs ...

OP: Beware that AiMesh guest WLANs currently only broadcast from the router node.

OE