What's new

AiMesh causing lower WAN throughput?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

caspermunk

New Around Here
Hi there,

I recently moved from a small apartment to a larger 2-story house. I had a single ASUS RT-AX86U that I was very pleased with. It always gave me around 1000 Mbit speed test (wired). But I decided to get some AiMesh going to get better coverage in my new house. So I replaced my AX86U with 2 x RT-AX92U as I was informed they were a great pair for AiMesh (having tri-band with AX for the wireless backbone). Setup was smooth and the coverage is good. I do miss having those AX wifi speeds though, but that has to wait until I get ethernet cables in the house.

I have a 1000/1000 Mbit fiber connection, but I can only get about 500 Mbit of WAN throughput in the AX92U's (both up and down). I have tested with a cable connected to the main router and also using the built-in speed test in the ASUS router itself. I always get around 500 Mbit both up and down. When I tested with my AX86U, it gave me 950-970 Mbit without problems. I'm testing with Speedtest.net and Fast.com which produces the same results.
I have everything disabled: Guest Network, AiProtection, Parental Controls, QoS, Traffic Analyzer, Game Mode, OpenNat and no USB connected. I have also tried enabling "Jumbo Frame" under LAN settings -> Switch Control, but that didn't help. The main router usually has around 85-90% RAM used and 1-5% CPU usage.

Any idea why I can't get the full 1000 Mbit? Could it be because of the AiMesh being active on the router?

You did a mistake. You had to purchase another AX86U instead. AX92U is older hardware with lower specifications router, the firmware had a long history of issues and is not updated for quite some time. I expect this product to be discontinued soon, it's very often on sale or liquidation.

Thanks for your post. I realise that it's older hardware, but shouldn't it still be able to give 1Gbit throughput?

My reasoning for choosing the AX92U is that it's tri-band which leaves a single band completely dedicated to the wireless backhaul. ASUS describes it here and DongKnows also describes is here.
"A tri-band router is best, because it is able to dedicate a band for backhaul connections – ensuring a stable connection and eliminating performance impacts."

My reasoning for choosing the AX92U is that it's tri-band

Only in theory. In reality - it depends. AX92U is a weird single AX radio router and not very successful model. It was initially sold in pairs for ridiculous price - it didn't go well. It was offered after as single units - it didn't go well either. This is why it's on sale often and/or on liquidation price. Two AX86U will connect between each other with up to 4804Mbps leaving plenty of bandwidth for the backhaul and for your clients using the same radio. Home routers serve limited number of active clients and the difference may not be noticeable at all given the backhaul link is fast enough. You basically downgraded your main router with two less capable routers. No idea where the limitation is with AX92U. And please don't read Don'tKnow website. This guy is a journalist.

I appreciate your point. Maybe I should have kept the AX86U, but I will stick with them for now. The coverage is great and I got them on offer plus with ASUS' Summer Cashback. I might upgrade again later.

I still think that the RT-AX92U should be able to handle 1000 Mbit through the WAN port despite it's age (release in mid 2018). It's listed as Gigabit ports and with 256 MB Flash and 512 MB RAM it should be possible. Has anybody else had any similar problems?

No much options other than playing with different Asuswrt firmware releases. The last one is from Jan 2022. Not sure if this product will see 388 code Asuswrt.

Hi there,

I recently moved from a small apartment to a larger 2-story house. I had a single ASUS RT-AX86U that I was very pleased with. It always gave me around 1000 Mbit speed test (wired). But I decided to get some AiMesh going to get better coverage in my new house. So I replaced my AX86U with 2 x RT-AX92U as I was informed they were a great pair for AiMesh (having tri-band with AX for the wireless backbone). Setup was smooth and the coverage is good. I do miss having those AX wifi speeds though, but that has to wait until I get ethernet cables in the house.

I have a 1000/1000 Mbit fiber connection, but I can only get about 500 Mbit of WAN throughput in the AX92U's (both up and down). I have tested with a cable connected to the main router and also using the built-in speed test in the ASUS router itself. I always get around 500 Mbit both up and down. When I tested with my AX86U, it gave me 950-970 Mbit without problems. I'm testing with Speedtest.net and Fast.com which produces the same results.
I have everything disabled: Guest Network, AiProtection, Parental Controls, QoS, Traffic Analyzer, Game Mode, OpenNat and no USB connected. I have also tried enabling "Jumbo Frame" under LAN settings -> Switch Control, but that didn't help. The main router usually has around 85-90% RAM used and 1-5% CPU usage.

Any idea why I can't get the full 1000 Mbit? Could it be because of the AiMesh being active on the router?
hello friend your problem has an easy solution look at this page https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07WRQ9S1B/ %85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=11GFYMMO9IKTG&keywords=TL+pa7017&qid=1662772881&sprefix=tl+pa7017%2Caps%2C323&sr=8-1
Once inside, buy it if you make 2 boxes possible. I tell you why you connect one of these devices to the router with the highest internet speed that you have, once you connect the other router that you have, connect it to a plug on the floor with another device from this box and the 3 device you connect it to a power strip as close to the switch there you put the ethernet cable to your PC, be it desktop or laptop, you will have 100% + or - of the contracted speed, the 2nd router will serve your cell phone, your TV as netflix and other connected devices as soon as AImesh deactivates it or leaves the normal wifi since the speed will circulate through the electrical network as if it were fiber, it should also give you at least 800/900mbps of what the box promises, but you must put it in such a strategic way, never put the last room and that This device has a maximum route of 300 m of electric cable, if it is less than 100 m of cable, it should give you 1 Gbps, exceeding that speed you will not be able to if you are going to hire other speeds.

For anybody browsing this, I ended up with this solution: I purchased 2xRT-AX86U's and they work like a dream with Aimesh. I tried using the AX92-U's as nodes and it worked alright with some small hickups when roaming. So I took them off again and sold them. Happy with my setup now. Thanks for your input @Tech9

Thank you for posting the solution--I was wondering what ultimately happened when reading the thread. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!