What's new

AiMesh evolution - ZenWifi - 3.0.0.386.x firmware branch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Simon W

Regular Contributor
A question to those using ZenWifi devices which I believe runs a 3.0.0.386.x branch of the Asus firmware and in which has a more evolved version of the AiMesh configuration..

Is there the concept of making certain clients "sticky" to certain nodes?

This is something I feel is sorely missed in the current (384.x) firmware, especially for geographically fixed clients (eg. IP security cameras) that themselves make poor wi-fi life-choices :)

While some better clients constantly look to to switch to an optimal node, others just stick to whatever connection they find first.. regardless of whether or not something better comes online later. I often find this is the case when a mesh system is rebooted and with the majority of devices latching onto whichever node comes back online first, some of which then either never or take an age (hours to days) to reconnect to a better option.

As I understand it the current Roaming Assistant can, if enabled, help this process by forcibly kicking off a client it feels could do better (then leaving it in the hands of the client-side wi-fi gods to do better on reconnection). And there is the option to exclude certain clients from the Roaming Assistant too, which would make sense for fixed-position clients though assuming they get it right in the first place. But what there doesn't seem to be the option for is to stick a given client to a given node - ie. yes I want to roam a client to a given preferred node, assuming it's available, but once it's there I want you to leave it alone (and of course if the node goes down then the client itself will sort out a reconnection to elsewhere)!

<here's hoping!>

Last edited:
Routers can't make clients 'sticky'.

Clients control that aspect of the connection.

Routers can't make clients 'sticky'.

Clients control that aspect of the connection.

In part yes, though if you re-read my post, they can (could) certainly help achieve a similar result. The Roaming Assistant, as I understand it, is a blunt instrument: kicks off a client it thinks could be better connected in the hope the client does better when it reconnects. What I'm hoping for is a bit more configurable smarts on the router side: kicking off certain clients in certain conditions, leaving others well alone. Still of course relies the client to do better on its reconnect, but at least forces the decision to be made by specific clients.

Last edited:
There's a Roaming Block page somewhere in there - I forgot where. Might be under Network Tools perhaps.

Ask Asus for feature request, this is exactly why you cant really use blocking right now. Like many other things good idea and bad or very poor implementation ...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!