What's new

AImesh feature compatibility, settings, and recommended nodes for RT-AC86U or RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan SG

Occasional Visitor
I just learned that the web UI does not hide features that aren't supported by the entire network. If I stick to my current network of a RT-AC86U master and RT-AC68U nodes, which features don't extend to the RT-AC68U and what should I set them to? If I need to replace a node, which models make good, compact, and inexpensive nodes for the RT86U (for a travel trailer turned home office)? If I decide to replace the master with a RT-AX86U, what models make good nodes for that?

I just learned that the web UI does not hide features that aren't supported by the entire network. If I stick to my current network of a RT-AC86U master and RT-AC68U nodes, which features don't extend to the RT-AC68U and what should I set them to? If I need to replace a node, which models make good, compact, and inexpensive nodes for the RT86U (for a travel trailer turned home office)? If I decide to replace the master with a RT-AX86U, what models make good nodes for that?

Use any of those you mention. The AC68U hardware does not support Smart Connect, so use different SSIDs per band with that network... or with any. Otherwise, buy identical routers, but that is not necessary and would defeat the incremental-ness AiMesh offers.

OE

This is my current network. Green dot is the AC86U primary and yellow dots are AC68U nodes. The node towards pic bottom has a wired backhaul to the primary. Everyone surprised me and decided to share the cost of an AX86U primary and whatever else might be necessary to regain reliability. I'm hoping the AX86U can replace the upper three routers and the lowest router will be upgraded from an AC68U to the AC86U.

wifi_placement.jpg

Last edited:
If your existing AC86U can't replace the three routers, AX86U won't do it as well. Both routers have about the same Wi-Fi range.
The AC86U couldn't penetrate the far end of the house nor the newer travel trailer but so far (just the one night) the AX86U is doing much better. Don't know why and don't care so long as it continues to perform this well.