1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Aimesh node firmware?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by szimat, Feb 25, 2020.

1. szimat

szimat Occasional Visitor

I have two RT-N66U B1 rourers.
    Main router running latest Merlin stable.
    I added the second router as Aimesh node (over wifi, not possible to use cable), running latest stock fw from Asus.

Question: should I use latest Merlin on the node router too? I read here somewhere that it is better to use same fw on both main router and node.

2. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

I would. :)

But if you are not seeing any issues, just enjoy it for now. :)

szimat likes this.
  3. szimat

Well, first day like this. Had some connection losts, like a dropout for short time. I will upgrade to Merlin on node router too.

4. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

szimat likes this.
  5. szimat

Ok, so I upgraded the node's fw to latest Merlin.
    The Aimesh network seams more stable now, didn't have (yet) any glitchea. And the signal and speeds are great in the whole are needed to be covered. I have full and strong 5 GHz coverage everywhere where needed. Did some settings according to the instructions in the post (like having 5 GHz set to 80 MHz).

Will see on longer run. Btw, I think Merlin can't be auto updated from router GUI, or I am wrong? If it can be, how about the node router fw upgrade? How to get newest Merlin there?

L&LD likes this.
  6. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

The Firmware Upgrade page on the main router will list all nodes, with separate Upload links to upgrade them.

L&LD and Vexira like this.