What's new

AiMesh Node Performance (AX86U Pro, AC86U & AX59U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rohtua

New Around Here
Hi I have an AX86U Pro router with an AC86U mesh node (was previously the router). Until a few weeks ago everything was working fine. I have 900mbps fibre broadband and would get around 915mpbs download and 110mpbs upload when connected to the router. Download speed would drop to around 450-550mpbs when connected to the node but everything was working well. I recently purchased an AX59U router to replace an old netgear device that was used as a bridge to provide ethernet to some devices downstairs. I set the AX59U up as a mesh node and all worked as expected I'm getting the same performance on that node as I am on the AC86U.

Today the performance on the AC86U has dropped drastically. I'm now seeing only 10mbps download speeds (upload remains at around 110mbps). I've tried rebooting/resetting the device. Turning off the new AX59U in case it was causing interferance in some way but nothing is having an effect. I have another AC86U router that was previously used as a node but now not used as it's just slightly too big to fit anywhere. I used this to replace the AC86U node and am seeing the same issue.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why performance has suddenly dropped so much and what else I can test. Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Nodes are connected via WiFi not ethernet.

Last edited:
I believe I've found the culprit. I use Pi-Hole as a DNS server. I replaced the DNS address with 1.1.1.1 and saw an immediate speed boost. upto 700mpbs on the node. I've then restarted the Pi-Hole DNS and am seeing my typical performance numbers now.

Any particular reason for having the Pi-Hole do the DHCP rather than the main router (apparently the RT-AX86U Pro)? As a troubleshooting step, you may want to have the main router run the DHCP rather than the Pi-Hole if the issue resurfaces.

Any particular reason for having the Pi-Hole do the DHCP rather than the main router (apparently the RT-AX86U Pro)? As a troubleshooting step, you may want to have the main router run the DHCP rather than the Pi-Hole if the issue resurfaces.
Hi thanks for the response. Pi Hole isn't doing DHCP it's just doing DNS. Yesterday the same issue appeared and this time restarting Pi Hole/resetting the node etc. Has had no effect. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.