What's new

Aimesh node slowness with 5ghz backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bobyang

Regular Contributor
I've configured AiMesh with one router and one node for testing purposes. Currently, they're positioned about 1 foot apart. My internet speed is 500 down and 20 up.

When connected to the main router's WiFi, I achieve about 530 down and 25 up.

If the mesh node is connected to the main router via Ethernet as a backhaul, and I connect to the node's WiFi, I get around 400 down and 20 up, which is acceptable.

However, when the node connects to the main router through 5GHz as backhaul with a great connection of 1300, and I connect to the node's WiFi, the speed drops to about 100 down and 12 up. I'm curious about ways to improve this performance.

Too close to each other.

You have to explore options yourself unless you are willing to share with us what model routers you have.
Thanks. I thought closer is better to encure the bakchaul connection. Any recommendations for the distance to have a best speed?

I have tr-ac86u as main and tr-ac68u as node.

Wireless AiMesh is about extended coverage, not speed. Dual-band wireless "node" is a repeater with throughput suffering from retransmissions. RT-AC68U is 10+ years old router. In my own tests I never managed to get anything over 150Mbps to RT-AC68U connected client in wireless AiMesh no matter what the backhaul link speed is. The distance between the two routers must be enough to ensure somewhat proper roaming. Routers at about -65dBm usually work okay. This means like 30ft/10m in most cases depending on what obstructions you have on the path. When testing clients make sure you have at least 6ft/2m distance between the router and the client.

Wireless AiMesh is about extended coverage, not speed. Dual-band wireless "node" is a repeater with throughput suffering from retransmissions. RT-AC68U is 10+ years old router. In my own tests I never managed to get anything over 150Mbps to RT-AC68U connected client in wireless AiMesh no matter what the backhaul link speed is. The distance between the two routers must be enough to ensure somewhat proper roaming. Routers at about -65dBm usually work okay. This means like 30ft/10m in most cases depending on what obstructions you have on the path. When testing clients make sure you have at least 6ft/2m distance between the router and the client.
Thanks. Yes. I only want to extend coverage not speed. And no way about speed which should be ISP thing since I have reach max for my plan.

I guess aimesh may use a lot of CPU or ram with WiFi becuase with Ethernet bakchaul I can get good speed as well but not WiFi bakchaul.

I tried using r68u as main router and I can also get about 520 down. Then, I add 86u as node by wifi backhaul and connect to 86u node with the same result about slow speed to about 100 down only. :( therefore, I am not sure if it is because of hardware limitation. I switch to etherne backhaul then I am getting 4xx again which is good. The only problem is with 5 GHz backhaul

I told you already why the speed is low at the node. Node's 5GHz radio serves the clients and the backhaul at the same time. With 2x RT-AC86U you can get much higher speeds because of >2Gbps possible backhaul link and much newer BCM4366E radios with own processing units. BCM4360 radios in RT-AC68U rely heavily on weaker main CPU. This is not a problem, but what 10+ years old router can do. Use what you have, upgrade when you need.