What's new

AiMesh over managed switch strange behavior

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DGS

New Around Here
I am experiencing AiMesh problems running over Netgear ms510tx managed switch and ethernet backhaul.

My setup is - Ax88u pro 3x + A59u 1x. One Ax88u pro serves as a router and is connected to Netgear ms510tx managed switch. Nodes are connected to the switch. Currently one of the node is set to AP mode because after the power outage it couldn't reconnect as AiMesh node.

The main issue is connecting new nodes and reconnecting existing after a power goest down (for example if i turn off the circuit brakers for some reason). All nodes are connected via ethernet cables.
When I want to add a new node (or reconnect existing one) it detects it in the interface but it won't connect to the node (saying connection is weak) unless I move it next to the router, finish the connection process and then I can move it to the other room and it works when i plug it via ethernet.

When in AP mode ethernet connection works normally, but AiMesh over same connection does not.

I added VLAN 501, 502 and 503 as tagged (changed Guest vlan id to 501 in aimesh dashboard) and that solved Guest network on nodes problem, but the reconnection issue is still here.

Attachments

• router.jpg
    router.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 38
If you have Ethernet backhaul mode enabled, disable it.

If you have Ethernet backhaul mode enabled, disable it.
@bbunge It is enabled. What would disabling the backhaul mode do? It would enable possible wifi fallback? Mesh nodes can barely (if at all) communicate with each other via wireless backhaul because they are set in not adjacent rooms (and different floors) and the walls/floors are reinf. concrete.

Last edited:

Reactions: DGS
I have had disconnects between router and node with a direct connection. Leaving the Ethernet Backhaul mode off solved that. Managed switches can also be a problem. Best to direct wire nodes to router or daisy chain.

Reactions: DGS
Another strange issue is this - If I assign a guest network to AX59U node - both the main wifi and the guest network do not work - takes 60seconds to connect to wifi but with no internet. As soon as I remove guest network from that node everything starts working. Ax88u pro nodes do not have that problem.

How could that be?

Last edited:
AiMesh is closed source and work in progress. Your managed switch is obviously creating the issues you see. I don't know why you took AiMesh route with consumer AIO routers with all the Ethernet infrastructure in place. SMB APs with PoE and native VLAN support are readily available with both wired cluster and wireless mesh options.

@Tech9 I moved all the connections to my unused unmanaged switch an hour ago to test how will it work. The problem with AX59u and the guest network I described is present in both managed and unmanaged. TBH I'm not sure either, but I am currently stuck with those. I already configured one of the nodes as AP, maybe that will be the best way for the remaining nodes, but I would still like to try to sort this out. I will probably need to use both switches in the near future when I finish setting everything up, I still have a lot of unconnected UTP cables "in waiting"

Attachments

• IMG_7668.jpeg
    IMG_7668.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7671.jpeg
    IMG_7671.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7672.jpeg
    IMG_7672.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 28
From user experience mixing different router models may result in unexpected behavior.

Asus claims all routers with AiMesh support are compatible, but this is not always the case.

Post on Asuse website https://www.asus.com/us/support/faq/1035087/ states:
FAQ

1. Why Guest network cannot sync and work in AiMesh node?

• Guest network broadcast currently only supported from AiMesh router. It is not available in AiMesh node.
  • There won’t be any guest network option for the AiMesh node(s).

This is strange - it worked before after configuring managed switch. Maybe the best solution is to ditch AiMesh altogether and just use nodes as AP

This is strange

Asus Web is full of bugs as well as Help in Asuswrt. What they are showing is AiMesh 1.0 in 384 firmware, now the routers run AiMesh 2.0 since 386 firmware. My test RT-AX86U router doesn't even support AX clients as per GUI Help - don't be surprised. They couldn't fix the tooltips 4 years after the model release. No attention to details. The reason I asked you why you play with home AIO routers in first place. Some things will never work the way you expect and will perhaps never be fixed for the life of the product.

Maybe the best solution is to ditch AiMesh altogether and just use nodes as AP

This is what many folks are doing as temporary step before getting something better for APs. It allows more control including Tx power and channel. You can get better roaming and higher aggregate throughput to your wireless clients. Scripting VLANs is model specific, you still have hanging power adapters and sticking out antennas.

@Tech9 I moved all the connections to my unused unmanaged switch an hour ago to test how will it work. The problem with AX59u and the guest network I described is present in both managed and unmanaged. TBH I'm not sure either, but I am currently stuck with those. I already configured one of the nodes as AP, maybe that will be the best way for the remaining nodes, but I would still like to try to sort this out. I will probably need to use both switches in the near future when I finish setting everything up, I still have a lot of unconnected UTP cables "in waiting"
There is something in the back of my mind about issues with the AX59U. But my old mind can't remember the exact issue. Whatever..

Must be nice to have a good looking wiring cabinet like that! But your issue is with the node setup and operation. Sometimes I've had to bring the prospective node into the same room as the router. Factory reset the node and try to set it up over WIFI. Make sure WPS is enabled on the router. The new node will usually be found. I have also had to use a patch cable from the router to the new node WAN port. Yes, a hard factory reset of the new node is a wonderful idea. Once the node is set up move it to its new location and plug the Ethernet into the new node WAN port.

Others have gotten the guest network to work through a managed switch. It is that early on in the AiMesh game I had set up a mesh network with guest WIFI in a not-for-profit I managed. Then a well meaning volunteer got some fancy managed switches, installed them and shut the network down. I usually managed the network remotely with a VPN but I had to make the 80 mile round trip several times before I gave up and told them they could not allow guests to use the WIFI. Did not go over well.

I feel you can get it working. Yes, making the nodes AP's is one option. But you will not have a guest WIFI distributed across the AP's.

I feel you can get it working. Yes, making the nodes AP's is one option. But you will not have a guest WIFI distributed across the AP's.

In AP mode, one has to sort out what the Guest VLAN ID is and make sure that is also handled on the switch...

Thank you all for the feedback. I switched two nodes to AP mode. (the remaining 2 Ax88u pros are still in router / mesh node mode)
Seems AP mode is the best approach in terms of long-term reliability. I also migrated to the unmanaged switch (before changing to AP mode), and I will revert to the managed (10Gbps switch) after my new ISP fiber line gets installed in a few months. Currently there is no need to have anything higher than 1Gbps because of the ISP itself. (I have the 4G antennas on the roof pointing to the cell tower and the max speed is around 200Mbps)

Regarding the Ax59u - even in AP mode (and unmanaged switch) the Guest network is not working when enabled (index 1 or 2 or both). It's the same behavior as it was when in Node mode. Once I enable the guest network on the AP itself - you cannot connect to the Guest or the Main AP wifi. Once I turn the guest network off - everything on that AP works.

Attachments

• guest.jpg
    guest.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 20

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!