What's new

AIMESH Roaming block not working?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thewizard1241

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have two asus ac68's in a mesh setting. I have a 4K tv in my bedroom which is right next to the room with the router on the upper floor, i have another aimesh node on the bottom floor.

The issue is, the tv keeps connecting to the downstairs node even the DB is a lot further compared to the upstairs node. This casues buffering. To solve this, i turned off the downstairs node wifi which forced connection to the master router. I then applied roaming block and input the TV into the list. Even after doing that, it still connects to the downstairs node?

I tried rebooting both routers + turning the tv back on and off but no luck

Hi,

I have two asus ac68's in a mesh setting. I have a 4K tv in my bedroom which is right next to the room with the router on the upper floor, i have another aimesh node on the bottom floor.

The issue is, the tv keeps connecting to the downstairs node even the DB is a lot further compared to the upstairs node. This casues buffering. To solve this, i turned off the downstairs node wifi which forced connection to the master router. I then applied roaming block and input the TV into the list. Even after doing that, it still connects to the downstairs node?

I tried rebooting both routers + turning the tv back on and off but no luck

I wonder if the TV itself is its own worst WiFi obstacle... if you rotate it 90d, does it then prefer the signal next door.

Sorry, I'm trying to think outside the box. :)

OE

I wonder if the TV itself is its own worst WiFi obstacle... if you rotate it 90d, does it then prefer the signal next door.

Sorry, I'm trying to think outside the box. :)

OE

Dont be sorry :)

The issue is it is mounted to the wall so i cannot rotate it around so it is very annoying. When connected downstairs it is around 74-75 dbm

When connected upstairs it around 66 dbm. So im unsure as to why it keeps favouring the WORSE signal? Im not getting any frequent disconnects to the upstairs wifi at all. Roamingblock just doesn't work at all.

My options atm are:

Hard wire it

Wait for the new routers im getting which will be AX routers, so im hoping the upstairs replacement will be powerful enough for this node to stay put

Dont be sorry :)

The issue is it is mounted to the wall so i cannot rotate it around so it is very annoying. When connected downstairs it is around 74-75 dbm

When connected upstairs it around 66 dbm. So im unsure as to why it keeps favouring the WORSE signal? Im not getting any frequent disconnects to the upstairs wifi at all. Roamingblock just doesn't work at all.

My options atm are:

Hard wire it

Wait for the new routers im getting which will be AX routers, so im hoping the upstairs replacement will be powerful enough for this node to stay put

My first thought was to assume that the TV is connecting to the best signal... downstairs. And then wonder what is wrong with the 'best signal' upstairs? The TV appears to be able to connect to either signal... and prefers the signal downstairs unless it's OFF. So, maybe the upstairs signal is being interfered with. You could try moving things about and/or using different WiFi channels. You could swap 68Us to see if the issue is hardware-related. Are there any cordless products operating nearby... like a cordless phone or headphones? You could put a longer WAN cable on the router and move it around its room to see if that affects the TV connection.

Wire it, if you can... even a temp patch cord out one door and in the other can bring immediate relief while you puzzle over the issue.

If present, try disabling Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming on the router... but probably not it.

Have you used a WiFi Analyzer app to view neighboring WiFi signals?

If using same SSIDs, try different SSIDs (since no Smart Connect node band steering on the 68Us).

OE

My first thought was to assume that the TV is connecting to the best signal... downstairs. And then wonder what is wrong with the 'best signal' upstairs? The TV appears to be able to connect to either signal... and prefers the signal downstairs unless it's OFF. So, maybe the upstairs signal is being interfered with. You could try moving things about and/or using different WiFi channels. You could swap 68Us to see if the issue is hardware-related. Are there any cordless products operating nearby... like a cordless phone or headphones? You could put a longer WAN cable on the router and move it around its room to see if that affects the TV connection.

Wire it, if you can... even a temp patch cord out one door and in the other can bring immediate relief while you puzzle over the issue.

If present, try disabling Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming on the router... but probably not it.

Have you used a WiFi Analyzer app to view neighboring WiFi signals?

If using same SSIDs, try different SSIDs (since no Smart Connect node band steering on the 68Us).

OE

It is defintely a strange thing. Whats even stranger is, i tried moving the downstairs router between 20-30cm to the right, and rotated 90 degrees to the right....and that has seemed to solve the issue wow. Even tho logically that technically would bring the router closer to the TV upstairs, it somehow stopped the issue. Strange indeed fingers crossed this stays this way.

Airtime fairness and Universal beamforming are disabled. I have used a wifi analyser app and most busy channels are 1 and 11, so I chose channel 6 for 2.4 ghz.

I dont use smart connect on the router i prefer seperating both bands.

If issue occurs the only thing ill do is wire it up, since the router isnt far from the tv, a nicely router cable will be 20metres at the cost of 8 bucks so not the end of the world :D

Also ive noticed the dbm range on the asus app and the rind doorbell app show two different numbers, spacing 12+dbm apart. I wonder which one is accurate hmmm