What's new

aimesh - use LAN ports on node for other devices?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amorak

Regular Contributor
Hello all,

Wondering, I have an AC68U running as a node on an aimesh network with an AC3100 as the primary router. I have an IPTV nearby that's flaky on wifi that I'd like to plug into the ethernet port on my node router, can I do that, or are the LAN ports inactive when configured in aimesh node mode?

I'm using node ports since the first AiMesh iteration. And it works with no problems for a storage and for a couple of small devices. Ideally your backhaul should be wired for consistent speed.
I can easily use the entire 1G capacity.

Hello all,

Wondering, I have an AC68U running as a node on an aimesh network with an AC3100 as the primary router. I have an IPTV nearby that's flaky on wifi that I'd like to plug into the ethernet port on my node router, can I do that, or are the LAN ports inactive when configured in aimesh node mode?

I'm using an AC5300 router in AiMesh with an AC86U as a node with both running the latest Merlin firmware. The router & node are connected via a wireless backhaul and I'm running an ethernet cable from a LAN port my AC86U to one of my 4K TV's. The TV (ROKU) Works at almoet full bandwidth, wayyyyy better then the WiFi signal I used earlier.

I'm using an AC5300 router in AiMesh with an AC86U as a node with both running the latest Merlin firmware. The router & node are connected via a wireless backhaul and I'm running an ethernet cable from a LAN port my AC86U to one of my 4K TV's. The TV (ROKU) Works at almoet full bandwidth, wayyyyy better then the WiFi signal I used earlier.
Hi, my situation is use AX86U as main router, and AX56U as AiMesh Node point, both wifi work and have strong signal. The problem is when I connect my QNAP NAS (TS-253D) via ethernet cable to AX56U (Node) LAN port, NAS can not be found. Is there any setup to be done to make Node LAN ports work? Really appreciate if you can help here. Thanks.

Hi, my situation is use AX86U as main router, and AX56U as AiMesh Node point, both wifi work and have strong signal. The problem is when I connect my QNAP NAS (TS-253D) via ethernet cable to AX56U (Node) LAN port, NAS can not be found. Is there any setup to be done to make Node LAN ports work? Really appreciate if you can help here. Thanks.

Node LAN ports work. Is your NAS getting an IP address? Have you tried using a different cable?

OE

Node LAN ports work. Is your NAS getting an IP address? Have you tried using a different cable?

OE
Yes, NAS has IP, and I type it in, not working, even use QFinder Pro (app for locating QNAP in the local internet). Also change other cable (all CAT5e) still no luck. I think none of Node LAN ports work.

Yes, NAS has IP, and I type it in, not working, even use QFinder Pro (app for locating QNAP in the local internet). Also change other cable (all CAT5e) still no luck. I think none of Node LAN ports work.

It gets an IP but the port doesn't work?

Did you reset the node before adding it?

OE

Yes, you are right. I did couple times to reset, and WPS reset as well.

If the node NAS is getting an IP from the main router, then the node port is somewhat working, yes?

OE

Hello all,

For a better of your current WIFI performance, your AiMesh-Node (AC86U) should be connected via wire (backhaul) and yes the Lan ports on the Node are all working and Free since you connect to thw Node WAN port and not Lan port from the Main (Lan port)

Yes, you are right. I did couple times to reset, and WPS reset as well.

Make sure to test your NODE router as a stand-alone router for their LAN ports functionalities. Make sure you connect the NODE WAN port cable to the Main Lan port (or via wifi) Make sure you double check the connection of your NAS on the NODE, double check if you didn't block it. You can check these by going to AiMesh setting and client on the Node it will display the clients connected list.

I've just had a similar issue with my setup - RT-AX88U main router with RT-AX56U AIMesh node. My main PC (connected via CAT5 to the node) could no longer access shared folders or Plex from my Windows server connected to the main router. I could ping the IP address OK and access various Hyper-V VM's running on it though.

Long story short, after lots of trial and error, I found the issue - Jumbo Frames. This was enabled on both the server and my main PC but it appears that on the node LAN ports it must be disabled by default and, in node mode, there is no way to change the setting on the AX56U. So it was as simple as disabling Jumbo Frames on my main PC - once that was done, full connectivity to the Windows server was restored.

In other words, check for Jumbo Frames and disable if necessary.