What's new

Aimesh - will this work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phil Outram

Regular Contributor
I'm thinking of getting an AX56U to solve my outdoor wifi problems.

I know the AX56U isn't supported by merlin but does anyone know if it will aimesh with an AX88U running merlin firmware?

I’m using an AX58U running stock firmware and a AX88U running Merlin and it works fine in AiMesh. There is Merlin firmware incoming for the AX58U and it’s a better router than the AX56U for only a few dollars more.

Mesh can work with nodes on stock firmware and primary router on my firmware.

Not sure about the opposite however, I have never tested it.

My main router is the AX88U running merlin, so the AX56U will be the mesh node. It's dirt cheap on amazon at the moment so I'm going to give it a shot and see if it works better than running the Wi-Fi extension cable outside.

My main router is the AX88U running merlin, so the AX56U will be the mesh node. It's dirt cheap on amazon at the moment so I'm going to give it a shot and see if it works better than running the Wi-Fi extension cable outside.

$150.00 is dirt cheap?

$150.00 is dirt cheap?

Compared to another AX88U yes, although admittedly perhaps not 'dirt' cheap by everyone's standards. However it is about 1/3 the price of the AX88U and since I just want it to act as an AP for a couple of outdoor IP cams that can only use the 2.4ghz band it's ideal.

For anyone who is interested I've set this up successfully in aimesh with the AX88U as the main router. Setup was very very easy. All I had to do was plug it in and scan for the aimesh node, which was detected without any manual messing about. It simply just worked. I've now been able to update to later firmware and remove my wifi extension cable with everything working well so far. Hopefully it will remain stable.

Compared to another AX88U yes, although admittedly perhaps not 'dirt' cheap by everyone's standards. However it is about 1/3 the price of the AX88U and since I just want it to act as an AP for a couple of outdoor IP cams that can only use the 2.4ghz band it's ideal.

For anyone who is interested I've set this up successfully in aimesh with the AX88U as the main router. Setup was very very easy. All I had to do was plug it in and scan for the aimesh node, which was detected without any manual messing about. It simply just worked. I've now been able to update to later firmware and remove my wifi extension cable with everything working well so far. Hopefully it will remain stable.
Phil, just curious if you did a wireless or wired backhaul with your setup?

Phil, just curious if you did a wireless or wired backhaul with your setup?

At the moment it's using a wireless backhaul (5ghz) because I need to run ethernet to my garden shed (a job for the weekend). However I did also try it with ethernet from my log cabin and it worked fine.

The initial setup was done over wifi in the living room about 2 metres from the main router. I literally just plugged it in whilst still in it's factory default state and it was detected by the aimesh scan, I was pleasantly surprised that no manual messing about was needed at all. After the setup, I took it to my log cabin and plugged the wan port into the cat6 I have running into there. It detected this and switched to using ethernet automatically.

Unfortunately though my log cabin is not in the best spot for one of the cameras so I had to move it to my shed which doesn't yet have ethernet. It switched back to using 5ghz as the backhaul from there. As the shed is very close to the location of my main router the 5ghz radio connects at almost full strength so I can probably get away with it as is, but if not I'll be running ethernet.

Last edited:
Mesh can work with nodes on stock firmware and primary router on my firmware.

Not sure about the opposite however, I have never tested it.

Hi RMerlin
I have the AXU88 as my primary router and AC5300 as mesh node. The primary router (AX88U) is on your latest firmware, the AC5300 has the previous stock firmware and I have the warning to update to the latest stock firmware.
How do I go about updating to your latest firmware.
Do I have to remove the node first then login with its ip and update?.
Is there any other way without having to break the mesh?
Thank you
Mario

Hi RMerlin
I have the AXU88 as my primary router and AC5300 as mesh node. The primary router (AX88U) is on your latest firmware, the AC5300 has the previous stock firmware and I have the warning to update to the latest stock firmware.
How do I go about updating to your latest firmware.
Do I have to remove the node first then login with its ip and update?.
Is there any other way without having to break the mesh?
Thank you
Mario

Just directly update by directly using the Upload link. Note however that results aren't guaranteed if you are moving a stock firmware node to my firmware without resetting it afterward.

Agreed, I've just ordered one for the same reason - I need to boost my 2.4Ghz coverage outside and extend my 5Ghz although I don't need huge bandwidth. I paid £129 UK for the AX56U compared to prices around £200 for the RT-AX58U although can't see them in stock anywhere.

Thanks. I'm planning the same setup with AX88U main and AX56U node so I hold you completely responsible if it doesn't work :p Assuming that all goes well I plan to get a second AX56U as my main router is in the centre of my home and I need coverage outside the front and rear. Both nodes will be ethernet connected.

Just directly update by directly using the Upload link. Note however that results aren't guaranteed if you are moving a stock firmware node to my firmware without resetting it afterward.
Thank you for your help
It worked as you described
Thank you
Mario

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!