What's new

AiMesh with ac68u as main router and ac86u as node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freebil

Occasional Visitor
Hello. I ordered an ac86u router. Is this any disadvantage to use the ac86u as node in my apartment despite the fact that it has lower specs?

You have it backwards. The RT-AC86U is superior in both specs and features. Mixing them in both AI Mesh or regular AP mode is not an issue, with the caveat that the 86U supports Smart Connect and the 68U does not. Don't enable SC on the 86U unless you are going to have unique AP names for 2.4 and 5 networks on the 68U that differ from the single SC Network name.

And always remember, the logic on which router/node the client choses is entirely the decision of the client, so you can't blame the routers/AP when it choses one that doesn't make sense. All you can hope is that SC, AI Mesh and Roam Assist can cause the client to reevaluate it's choice.

Sorry, I mean I would like to use ac68u(lower specs) as main router and ac86u(higher specs) as aiMesh node in my apartment. I read that for aimesh nodes usually we have to use lower speced routers.

Sorry, I mean I would like to use ac68u(lower specs) as main router and ac86u(higher specs) as aiMesh node in my apartment. I read that for aimesh nodes usually we have to use lower speced routers.

Do what you want, but the AC86U would make the better root node.

OE

You have it backwards. The RT-AC86U is superior in both specs and features. Mixing them in both AI Mesh or regular AP mode is not an issue, with the caveat that the 86U supports Smart Connect and the 68U does not. Don't enable SC on the 86U unless you are going to have unique AP names for 2.4 and 5 networks on the 68U that differ from the single SC Network name.

And always remember, the logic on which router/node the client choses is entirely the decision of the client, so you can't blame the routers/AP when it choses one that doesn't make sense. All you can hope is that SC, AI Mesh and Roam Assist can cause the client to reevaluate it's choice.

Sorry for the Necro but.....

I take it with you having two 86U's you can have Smart connect enabled on both (if that is what you do) as well as one of the routers as your node by using AI Mesh...? So you have a single SSID for your entire WiFi network and rely on the client hopping to the best signal depending where the client is in relation to each router...?

Overall how successful is that, in terms of clients "hopping" and the overall AI Mesh performance / working...?

I have a 86U and was thinking of picking up a 68U to act as a node / single SSID with smart connect etc, but then I read your post. Perhaps I'll get lucky for either Prime day or BF for a sale on the 86U.

Thanks.

Yes, SC and channel settings are copied to AI Mesh nodes. Yes, that’s my setup 2 AC86Us and I have great results with client selection and steering. There’s always one dumb client that refuses to move but you can’t blame SC.

Yes, SC and channel settings are copied to AI Mesh nodes. Yes, that’s my setup 2 AC86Us and I have great results with client selection and steering. There’s always one dumb client that refuses to move but you can’t blame SC.

Will this be same for 2 AC68U? If not, what will be best/optimal setting for 2 AC68U? Read above seems SC is not supported?
Thanks.

This is not the same as AI Mesh but I have a Netgear 7800 hardwired upstairs as an AP and the main 86U downstairs. Their actions remind me of what is noted in this video, in terms of some clients holding on to the weakest signal, as they would.....

....I wasn't sure what to expect AI Mesh over that of simply using a hard wired AP.

Thanks for confirming that they work as you would expect in your situation.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!