What's new

AIMesh2 with wired backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Krusty

Occasional Visitor
I know this question has probably been asked before, but ii haven't managed to find much of an answer.

I have an AIMesh2 setup with an AC5300 with three AC68U nodes. I am trying to get decent coverage throughout and at the exteremeties for my house (no close neighbors). I have a lot (maybe 80+) of 2.4Ghz devices (mostly in fixed locations)

I have 1G ethernet wired throughout the house.

AIMesh didn't work so well before, so I switched back to separate access points, but that doesn't work great either so i tried the latest with AIMesh2.

I force the mesh to use ethernet backhaul, but AIMesh insists on use the same channel on all the nodes?
Am i missing something?.. is there any benefit to this?
there is certainly a downside in that all the routers interfere with each other.

It would seem much more sensible to me for AIMesh to configure each node to use a different wireless channel - perhaps it would be happier with only 3 nodes, but I can't tell it do to only use 3 nodes for 2.4Ghz in the mesh.

On a separate note, does anyone have a large AIMesh setup with lots of devices which actually works (need bonjour etc to work acrosss the whole network)

With 80+ client devices on a single band, you are grossly exceeding the capabilities of the router. In AiMesh, AP, or any other mode you may be able to use.

And yes, AiMesh v2.0 configures the nodes to use the exact same settings as the main router, including the Channel and Channel bandwidth used on the main.

With 80+ client devices on a single band

Well i don't want them on a single band, that was the point; nor do i need more than 20-30 on a single router, and as many of these are LIFX bulbs, i hope they aren't that chatty.

AiMesh v2.0 configures the nodes to use the exact same settings as the main router, including the Channel and Channel bandwidth used on the main.

My question is why

Last edited:
Altnerative question. given i can do wired backhaul, is there a mesh system that works for a large number of devices? (this seems like it should be a solved problem)

With 80+ client devices on a single band, you are grossly exceeding the capabilities of the router. In AiMesh, AP, or any other mode you may be able to use.
alternatively could you please clarify your statement. above 80+ on one band on one router, I could see as being a problem (although not necessarily one documented in any way by ASUS)

I find it hard to believe however that you cannot build a home network that supports 80+ 2.4Ghz devices using multiple nodes.

Most consumer routers are capable of 32 clients or less per band.

Some, much less than 32 clients.