What's new

Skynet AIprotect/Skynet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clvk07

if I try to enable AIprotect BAN I get this:

"This Feature Requires Entware - Exiting

(AX86U 386.2, )

any ideas?

AIProtect doesn't require Entware, as far as I'm aware. It's a default closed source component of the firmware.
If you wish to install Entware, launch amtm and follow the instructions to install Entware.

I did install entware and seems to have resolved the original issue, but now a lot of headings in the skynet page under firewall show not "data to display". I unistalled / reinstalled skynet no joy. Re-installed entware no joy. I guess I need to unistall entware completely? how do you do that?

I did install entware and seems to have resolved the original issue, but now a lot of headings in the skynet page under firewall show not "data to display". I unistalled / reinstalled skynet no joy. Re-installed entware no joy. I guess I need to unistall entware completely? how do you do that?

All of my OUTBOUND Skynet firewall data sections in the webui show "No data to display" ... which is GREAT - so would not sorry about NOT having data in those. It may take time for the others to fill and they will only fill IF you have INBOUND attempts from malicious sites.
skynet-no-data.JPG

Noob question: Do I need AIprotection when I have Skynet running, or is it redundant? Skynet offers malware protection and firewall protection just like AIprotection, so, can I safely turn off AIprotection?

You may turn off AiProtection, BUT I use both (see my sig).

Skynet offers malware protection and firewall protection just like AIprotection

No, it doesn't. Skynet does nothing inbound, if no ports are open to Internet - it only limits the user outbound to IPs in blocklist. It does little inbound, if there are open and not properly secured ports - there are millions of IPs out there not in blocklists. Skynet relies on community blocklists, not always clean of false positives. It needs maintenance and attention. AiProtection is lightweight DPI engine, designed to run on routers. It doesn't need maintenance, may need some attention. Skynet is nowhere near AiProtection replacement. My suggestion - use AiProtection + malware/phishing filtering DNS service (Cloudflare, Quad9, OpenDNS, CleanBrowsing, etc. - many to choose from). All modern browsers use Safe Browsing engine as well.

@torstein, your router's own firewall drops all unsolicited request by default. Skynet only shows you what was recognized as bad IPs, according to blocklists used. When you see 6543 blocked IPs it doesn't mean without Skynet the same IPs were about to reach your network. Most of what Skynet shows you is so called Internet background noise. Those are not real bad people trying to hack you, but thousands of automated bots and trackers from all around the world scanning Internet constantly. Skynet may be useful in some specific cases, but what is does best is to freak you out making you believe you're under attack constantly. If you want to see what the firewall does without Skynet, go to the GUI, Firewall, Logged packets type - change it from None to Dropped. Use your Internet as normal for few minutes and look at System Log, General Log page. So, no - you don't need Skynet. You can use it, if it makes you feel better.

Doesn't matter if there is a person or a computer behind the scanning, the dangers are as real as they can get.

Potential means something needs to be done about it, otherwise, that potential becomes reality.

Use both AiProtection and Skynet for extra layers of security. Negligible 'cost' in terms of performance and resources, for far greater peace of mind.

A security storm door does the same thing as a security front door for your home, but both are better at keeping out the bad guys than one or the other.

L&LD and Griswald - Do you have just AIProtection enabled, or do you also have any of the additional features enabled like Malicious Site Blocking, Two-Way IPS and Infected Device Prevention?

All are enabled on mine. :)

I also have ours enabled.
Malicious Site Blocking has often caught/blocked sites.
I haven't had any issues with slow downs, etc while having AiP enabled, and I feel better having an extra layer of protection between the internet baddies and The Griswald's.

Malicious Site Blocking has often caught/blocked sites.

TrendMicro site verification process is not very good. There are also politics involved. You probably have heard about "right to repair" movement in the US. Some manufacturers make the repair process as hard as possible. I work on (well, play with) some products in this category and often the few sources containing usable information are blocked as Scam in AiProtection. Global scammers with money and influence report the site - TrendMicro blocks your access to it and calls it a Scam.

Last edited:
TrendMicro site verification process is not very good. There are also politics involved. You probably have heard about "right to repair" movement in the US. Some manufacturers make the repair process as hard as possible. I work on (well, play with) some products in this category and often the few sources containing usable information are blocked as Scam in AiProtection. Global scammers with money and influence report the site - TrendMicro blocks your access to it and calls it a Scam.
People can file for re-classification through their website. I did it a few months ago when the new Libera IRC website got flagged by them (I know one of the network admin also did so at about the same time as me). Only took them 24 hours to re-classify it as non-malicious.