What's new

AiProtection and Onedrive crashing router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kevlarmpowered

Occasional Visitor
Has anybody seen any problem like this where if I turn on parental controls to prevent file sharing it causes AiProtection to go wild and eventually crash the router? It seem like Onedrive and parent file controls don't get along. It seems like to cause the router to reboot every 4-5 minutes.

Has anybody seen any problem like this where if I turn on parental controls to prevent file sharing it causes AiProtection to go wild and eventually crash the router? It seem like Onedrive and parent file controls don't get along. It seems like to cause the router to reboot every 4-5 minutes.
Router model and Firmware version, please.

It would help to share more details about your configuration. Do you have any custom scripts running, for example? I can't reproduce your issue on my AX86U running stock Asuswrt 49599 firmware. AiProtection + Parental Controls Peer-to-Peer filter + OneDrive on a laptop. Don't filter File Transfer.

The following things are installed...

Skynet
scribe
connmon
scMerlin
uiScribe

The error flooding the log were these...

kernel: *** ERROR: [send_redir_page:625] # redir_url=http://192.168.17.1:80/blocking.asp?cat_id=56&mac=AD558703AA27&domain=skydrivesync.policies.live.net

When I turned off the parental protection for file transfer the rebooting stopped. The only way I was originally triggered to the problem was all the TVs stopped working every few minutes. That's when I logged in to see the uptime was less than five minutes and it kept rebooting until I disabled the filtering.

The computer in question was actively trying to use the OneDrive connection, i.e. a file was on the computer and was trying to actively sync I'm guessing because the logs were just spammed full of those errors.

This message is from AiProtection. OneDrive is File Transfer. You have to disable File Transfer blocking when OneDrive is used.

This message is from AiProtection. OneDrive is File Transfer. You have to disable File Transfer blocking when OneDrive is used.

Yup... I figured that part out (and eventually turned that off). The part that was "odd" was that it was crashing the router when it was on. Blocking OneDrive accidentally is one thing, but bringing down the router is what I was curious about. Once I figured out what was happening, I had 5 minutes to get to the button to change it before it would reboot again.

OneDrive uses multiple servers and connections. Weird things may happen to AiProtection when bombarded constantly. It’s a basic packet inspection working on tiny RPi type hardware. Your issue is user error and you fixed it already. The router is good for home use. This is what it was made for.

I feel I must recommend you go back to Asuswrt factory firmware. I have tested the recent Merlin firmwares on my AX86U and feel that I get just as good security, better performance and fewer problems with Asuswrt. Of course, this is my opinion. You will find life is simpler not having to continually troubleshoot router problems.

I feel I must recommend you go back to Asuswrt factory firmware. I have tested the recent Merlin firmwares on my AX86U and feel that I get just as good security, better performance and fewer problems with Asuswrt.
AiProtection is 100% identical regardless of whether you run Asuswrt or Asuswrt-Merlin.

I find @bbunge advice above correct. From my own experience, the most consistent AX86U firmware is current Asuswrt 49599. I did go few firmware versions back and forth to test with, both Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin. Closed source components are the same, but firmware experience differs. AiMesh is also closed source and unchanged, but it doesn't work as described by Asus in Asuswrt-Merlin. Closed source + open source icing on top sometimes makes the cocktail cloudy. It's a trial and error process to find what works best based on user's needs and expectations. In my opinion, 386.5_2 release is a better cocktail than 386.7_2. I would say everything closed source and coming straights from Asus has to be tested in Asus's original firmware only. If something is found broken in Asuswrt, it's most likely broken in the same code base Asuswrt-Merlin as well.

Last edited: