What's new

All traffic lost after adding internet VLAN tag

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SimonPi

New Around Here
Hello.

My ISP requires VLAN-tagging the WAN interface. I've done this through the IPTV tab on the LAN properties page, and it seems to work fine, the router successfully obtains an address via DHCP, but as my title says no traffic actually seems to be routed even though ifconfig shows TX and RX go up on the vlan interface.

I created a tagged VLAN on my Linux machine and connected it to directly to the ONT to see if that was the problem but it successfully obtained a WAN address using dhclient and everything worked fine, I had internet connectivity, so I have to assume the problem is with the router.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to troubleshoot this? My router is an RT-AC68U, using version 386.7.

On the router the LAN should be untagged / native vlan.

I'm guessing you have to tag the wan traffic as 101 o 200 or something along those lines to get proper packet flow. It's a secondary authentication method to free up the native vlan for ISP management purposes.

The linux box is the same type of setup I'm running as well but, I don't deal with 802.11q on it as it's picking up a 192.168.x.x from the 5G gateway and then I have a different subnet on the LAN setup.. Even though it's technically triple nat at this point it works fine.

Now, whether the Asus is smart enough to figure out how to do this type of setup that's non-standard is a different story.

I do have to tag the WAN traffic yes, but I can't even get any WAN traffic from the router to the internet. If I ssh into the router and try to ping my ISP's default gateway from the router I get no response.

Edit: Just to be clear, if I DHCP the WAN address to my Linux box I get responses from the gateways. They do respond.

Well, om the cable world there's authentication by MAC.

In your situation it's possible there's also a PPPOE login you need to supply to trigger data to work in addition to the VLAN.

There could also be a different VL being used for data besides the one for IPTV.

There is no PPPoE involved. If there were I wouldn't be able to connect from my Linux box with just dhclient. The authentication is only by ONT SN.

ok.... well, does everything work from the Linux box including the IPTV? Which ISP is this anyway? There might be some clues with some digging as to what's happening causing the issue with the Asus being the CPE vs the ISP/Linux versions working.

I have an internet-only plan so there is no IPTV but the tag must still be set on the WAN interface for regular traffic to work.

Last edited:

Looking at this there's a combo of using VL2 + PPPOE. I don't read German nor does Chrome apparently so, this is about as far as I'm going with this.

We have US provides doing this non-sense as well with tagging / PPPOE and it's a PITA to deal with to say the least.

Can you post a screenshot of your IPTV settings page. I doubt you've done anything wrong but it's worth checking.

Well, having gone to enter the settings again to make a screenshot for you, the router now inexplicably works. I don't believe I've done anything differently so unfortunately I have nothing to give to anyone who finds this thread possibly having the same problem. Thank you for your time anyway.