What's new

YazFi Allow client in isolated network to speak to main network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gary_Dexter

Hi

I have YazFi setup to segregate my IoT devices onto their own network. This network is also set to allow one-way traffic TO the guest network (but not both ways).

I’ve added a Sonos device to this IoT network, however I would like it to have communication back to the main network as well so it can communicate with my HomeAssistant RPi - at the moment HomeAssistant throws back an error that it can’t poll the device as it sits on the segregated network.

Is there a way (with routing or firewall rules?) to allow a single device (or devices) to communicate back to the main network when one-way to guest is enabled?

Cheers!
Gary

Possibly yes. See YazFi's Custom Firewall Rules.
https://github.com/jackyaz/YazFi#custom-firewall-rules
See this post for an example of custom scripting to allow traffic between specific LAN and YazFi Guest clients:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/allowing-access-to-selected-network-devices.80405/#post-784521
Another example of the scripting from a few days ago:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/help-with-iptables-script.87827/

When using custom scripting rules one may not even need to use YazFi's one way or two way to guests depending on the custom scripting used.

That worked a treat - thanks!

I assume I can just add to that same file for any other devices/rules?

Actually ignore that - it’s not working.

I assume the script I should be using is (guest network #2 2.4ghz - Sonos IP is 10.12.13.15):

#!/bin/sh
iptables -I YazFiFORWARD -i wl0.2 -o br0 -d 10.12.13.15 -j ACCEPT

I want the Sonos device to be able to speak TO the main LAN (one-way TO Guest is enabled).

I assume I can just add to that same file for any other devices/rules?
If for other YazFi clients? Yes the process/rule(s) would be similar. Do some testing however to ensure everything is still being firewalled properly though for the YazFi clients and main LAN clients.

Actually ignore that - it’s not working.

I assume the script I should be using is (guest network #2 2.4ghz - Sonos IP is 10.12.13.15):

#!/bin/sh

I want the Sonos device to be able to speak TO the main LAN (one-way TO Guest is enabled).
One option is to disable one way to guest and simply use custom scripting to pass the traffic. Something like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
iptables -I YazFiFORWARD -i br0 -o wl0.2 -s 10.12.13.15 -j ACCEPT
In the code example one is opening up source and destination traffic to 10.12.13.15. I assume 10.12.13.15 is on the main LAN.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!