What's new

Alternative to Netgear R6400 v2 For 30+ Devices - mostly 2.4Ghz IoT/Smarthome Stuff? Many Requirements

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dwp

Regular Contributor
Netgear recently replaced my R6400 v1 with a v2 after I began having problems of wifi connections being suddenly and inexplicably "lost". They would disappear from the connected devices list - sometimes I could still ping the devices, but not always. It would take a reboot of the router or a power cycle on the device(s) to get them back - and they still wouldn't stay put. The problem starts only when the TOTAL number of devices (wired, 2.4Ghz, and 5Ghz) reaches about 22-23. I get similar results with the v2 as with the v1 - perhaps slightly better but not much different overall - perhaps as a result of the newer, 1Ghz CPU versus the old, .8 Ghz one. I have airtime fairness and implicit beam forming enabled.

These IoT devices are mostly confined to my LAN (by my wishes) and they do NOT push much data. So it does not seem the issue is throughput. Also, the range of the R6400 is not a significant problem. I get signal where I need it - although I wish sometimes the 5Ghz signal was stronger in some places where I now just end up on 2.4Ghz. This is not a huge deal for me except that as a result I get 5Ghz-capable devices on the 2.4Ghz and that seems unlikely to be helping my IoT device troubles. Also, I am not a gamer and only do some video/audio streaming to my Chromecast and TV. So I am not in need of lots of features in that realm.

I have tried adding an access point next to the R6400 connected via ethernet. I have used an old TP-Link that is single core, 400 Mhz with 128M RAM running OpenWRT and tried off-loading the many of the IoT/Smarthome devices to it instead of directly to the R6400. The R6400 shows these now as wired connection rather than wireless - which makes sense - and things run well - at least until I start adding more devices to this access point. At that point, I end up with much the same problem of devices getting "lost".

I suspect that these older devices simply cannot keep up with the demands of maintaining so many wifi connections. I am not sure but I cannot help but wonder if a larger, faster CPU combined with more RAM is the "solution". But I want to be sure how much and what might make the difference. For example, is a 1.5Ghz, 3-core enough? Is there a significant difference between a 64-bit and 32-bit for a router? Is 1G RAM more likely to "solve" my problem than 512M? Is a mesh system the way to go?

In addition to solving the above problem, I have several other requirements:

1. I put almost every single device on a reserved IP address in the router. I want to know for certain that a specific device lives at a specific IP. I note that some Asus routers, for example, limit such assignments to 32 devices - and I fear that is a hard limit and I would end up on the hairy edge with such a router. 64 should be fine though although I have no idea why this should be limited in any way.

2. I require command line access to the router via telnet or ssh on the LAN only. I mostly need this so I can run tcpdump and investigate packets going through the router with Wireshark. So the tcpdump utility and busybox tools need to be there. I understand that many makers either do NOT offer telnet or ssh or did in earlier firmware but removed it later on - I see this in the R6400, for example - in earlier firmware there is a debug page that allows me to toggle telnet on and I can use the telnetenable command line utility to do so as well. However, this all disappears in later Netgear firmware (without being advertised). I also have discovered that TP-Link products do NOT offer this - although many do have an ssh server running to support their Tether app - I cannot get a successful connection myself. This is unacceptable to me. If the stock firmware lacks this ability, I might be fine flashing a 3rd party firmware if a solid one exists - which for the later TP-Link units seems to be a challenge.

3. I need at least 4 ethernet LAN ports and this seems pretty standard. I need no special gaming port or such. I have only a simple DSL modem with a single ethernet port on it connecting to the router's WAN. I have nothing against having more than 4 ethernet LAN ports. But it isn't a requirement.

4. I need at least one USB port for network storage with typical visibility on the LAN (I want nothing on the WAN): Windows networking/Samba with a non-default workgroup name, ftp access, and ability to access the USB storage via a command line. The TP-Link products seem to insist on using the default workgroup name "WORKGROUP" and offers no ability to modify it. That's a problem I would much rather avoid.

5. Where the router has to live there is a height restriction of 6 inches. This means that all of the Asus models designed to stand up rather than lie down are out of the question (why do them make so many that insist upon this orientation?). It also means that antennae need to be able to open and be positioned within that 6 inch space. On the R6400, for example, none of the 2 antennae can be fully raised but this does not seem to be a problem - although this MAY contribute to less than stellar range - and I have to live with that.

6. I need to have control over LEDs and special lighting effects. I need to be able to turn them off and have them stay off! This means across router reboots. I have, in the past, resorted to black tape and can possibly do that again. But really?

7. I would really prefer to have only a single-box solution. It is just easier and simpler to install and manage. I am not sure if mesh would "buy" me anything here but would consider it if there is good cause and I can use wireless back haul - wired will not work here unless the distance is very short - like 1 foot - and so what would be the benefit? I do need range at least as good as the R6400 has been. If I can get that without mesh, that is fine by me.

8. While not my highest priority, having access to 3rd party firmware is attractive in case of issues not being addressed by the maker in a timely fashion.

9. I understand that you don't get something for nothing. But I really think that having to pay over $250 for a router is excessive. I find even that level hard to stomach. And I have seen many routers at prices way beyond that. Wow!

Thanks for your time, patience in reading all this, and help.

I have airtime fairness and implicit beam forming enabled.

Disable both and try again. Both may cause the issues you describe. Use 20MHz wide channel only on 2.4GHz band, make it as compatible as possible to all your devices. Disable everything you don't need or use. Use 802.11ac Beamforming only on 5GHz band, disable MU-MIMO.

That's a problem I would much rather avoid.

Avoid the entire USB storage idea. Home routers are not NAS. Not enough CPU/RAM for this purpose. You'll find out when you lose data. Also, USB 3.0 drive may interfere with your 2.4GHz network. Better get a real NAS with 2x mirrored drives inside and you know you have a storage.

Last edited:
Disable both and try again. Both may cause the issues you describe. Use 20MHz wide channel only on 2.4GHz band, make it as compatible as possible to all your devices. Disable everything you don't need or use. Use 802.11ac Beamforming only on 5GHz band, disable MU-MIMO.

Avoid the entire USB storage idea. Home routers are not NAS. Not enough CPU/RAM for this purpose. You'll find out when you lose data. Also, USB 3.0 drive may interfere with your 2.4GHz network. Better get a real NAS with 2x mirrored drives inside and you know you have a storage.
Thanks. I have disabled both beam forming and "fairness". I guess they were enabled by default as I never touched them.

I use the USB storage very rarely. A thumb drive has always been plenty. It is mostly for occasional, simple file sharing with my wife. No stored video or big data. On the R6400 I have pretty mush only used the 3.x port as it is right up front and easier to get at than the 2.x on the back. Was not aware that this might interfere with the 2.6Ghz. I may have to swap that.

I am open to getting a newer, better router. But am just unsure about what might improve my situation in a new router than is not in my current setup. And I have often found that newer is not always better. So I tend to be very cautious.

Cheers

Just FYI, I disabled beam forming and "fairness". And I moved the thumb drive from the front 3.x port to the rear 2.x port. All of this resulted in a router reboot which was fine.

I then moved all the devices I had placed earlier on the access point SSID back onto the main, Netgear router. It didn't take long to see that sadly, things are no better. In fact, they seem worse (I know that is hard to believe) - I have twice had what seems like a failure of the entire 2.4Ghz system requiring a reboot via my phone connected on 5Ghz. Wow! So I am going to turn beam forming and "fairness" back on and see what happens. Nothing like trial and error :)

So I am going to turn beam forming and "fairness" back on and see what happens.

Beamforming doesn't work on 2.4GHz anyway. Airtime Fairness will make slower devices even slower. Without seeing your setting it's hard to guess what the problem is. It could be just not enough signal strength to/from some of your devices. IoTs don't have exceptional built-in radios.

Wi-Fi will be the same or worse though. Fancy options in FT are NAT acceleration incompatible - up to ~200Mbps WAN-LAN limitation.

I note that some Asus routers, for example, limit such assignments to 32 devices

Getting 32 devices up on one radio can be done - keep it simple though...

Current OpenWRT (21.02) on that TP-Link device running as an AP (no routing) should be able to handle things just fine - again, there you can disable "legacy rates" which gives you 11g/11n - run security as WPA2 only...

The problem starts only when the TOTAL number of devices (wired, 2.4Ghz, and 5Ghz) reaches about 22-23.

What is the total number of devices you're trying to hook up for IoT/SmartHome purposes?

What is the total number of devices you're trying to hook up for IoT/SmartHome purposes?
Hi. Sorry for the late response here. I did not get a notification of the replies. Thanks to all. I am reading now.

Right now, the number of connected devices (as reported by the Netgear UI) TOTAL is 20 (4 on 2.4Ghz, 4 on 5Ghz, and the remainder are wired - although 8 of these are actually wifi to the A/P). This level works fairly well. But if I add 2-3 more on the 2.4Ghz things go south quickly as described above). This is shy of the 25 devices advertised on the R6400 v2 box and it still cannot keep things going. I have a total of perhaps 30 devices I would like to connect right now. But if I try to do so, all hell breaks loose. So I have scaled back for now. Cheers

Beamforming doesn't work on 2.4GHz anyway. Airtime Fairness will make slower devices even slower. Without seeing your setting it's hard to guess what the problem is. It could be just not enough signal strength to/from some of your devices. IoTs don't have exceptional built-in radios.
Hi. Regards the possible low signal strength, I do not think this is involved with my problem. I have found that I simply must reduce the number of connected devices. So I have been turning them off and on to see if the specific devices that are connecting matter. It does not seem to do so. Cheers

Current OpenWRT (21.02) on that TP-Link device running as an AP (no routing) should be able to handle things just fine - again, there you can disable "legacy rates" which gives you 11g/11n - run security as WPA2 only...
I also tried moving ALL of the 2.4Ghz work onto the A/P. I was not sure it would/could handle that. As I added more devices, things went south again. I cannot quite tell if this is due to limitations of the A/P or due to issues on the Netgear. Cheers

I received and have been configuring/testing a new Asus GS-AX3000 router. It has a 3-core CPU @ 1.5Ghz + 512M ram (compared to the Netgear that has a 1Ghz, dual core and 256M ram). I have loaded ALL the devices I have that can connect to it. And this has brought me up to the 27-28 device connection range. No use of an A/P or anything else. Thus far, I have not witnessed any of the issues I was seeing previously. I have also noted that the 2.4Ghz signal strength at the farthest reaches of my LAN (outdoor security camera) are much higher than ever seen before. I have also managed to get all the other requirements filled - including installing Entware's tcpdump on the stock Asus firmware (requires a USB drive - which I had already planned to use). With any luck this will hold. Thanks for all!

Again - getting 30+ clients, even on a low end travel router, is doable... even a GL AR-150 (Atheros AR9331 chipset) can handle 39 devices on a single radio

Interesting study from the folks over at GL-Inet

Maybe you're just using the wrong equipment... or using the right equipment in a sub-optimal manner... The TP-Link (400MHz single core) is similar to the AR150 resource-wise, and with OpenWRT 21.02, should be fine.

One thing to consider - you might be running out of DHCP leases for active devices, so OEM's will limit that - OpenWRT will allow as much as the pool is deep - I wouldn't do over 50.

Again - getting 30+ clients, even on a low end travel router, is doable... even a GL AR-150 (Atheros AR9331 chipset) can handle 39 devices on a single radio

Interesting study from the folks over at GL-Inet

Maybe you're just using the wrong equipment... or using the right equipment in a sub-optimal manner... The TP-Link (400MHz single core) is similar to the AR150 resource-wise, and with OpenWRT 21.02, should be fine.

One thing to consider - you might be running out of DHCP leases for active devices, so OEM's will limit that - OpenWRT will allow as much as the pool is deep - I wouldn't do over 50.
Thanks again. That is an interesting blog post. Their setup looks alot like mine right now - with all the devices I have lying around in my office with chargers and wire everywhere :)

While the notion did pass through my head, I did not seriously consider that the issue may be a limit on the number of leases the old Netgear would grant. I always thought that if would grant as large as the pool and I always left it at the default (like 253). I never came close to having 50 devices - 30 is about all I can muster here. But clearly things went south well before that level was achieved. I don't recall seeing any way to actually control the number of leases available beyond controlling the pool size. But there may be a limit hard-coded by the makers. All I have ever noticed/seen was an ability to control lease duration.

With the new Asus in place it offers easy to see RAM and CPU usage charts. With those I can see that the CPU on it never even breaks a sweat. I have seen short spikes to maybe 25% on some cores. Core 3 rarely seems used at all. But more interesting to me is RAM usage. With 28 devices connected total (22 on 2.4Ghz alone), the Asus is showing 61% (320M) of the 512M total used. And this level seems quite constant regardless of the actual activity level of the devices. Obviously, some fairly fixed amount of RAM must be used by the system. But it stands to reason that there is some amount of RAM consumed per-connected device. I have no idea what that might be. But I plan today to experiment by turning off devices and watching what happens to the RAM usage. I can see, using the shell access and "free" command that a good portion of the used RAM is in buffers and cache. So I am not sure how "real" the reported RAM usage is.

I never put 3rd party firmware on the old Netgear. I never really felt the need to do so - at least not until the connected device count got high enough to cause really visible problems. So it is possible that replacing the firmware might get better results. It is just hard to do that without having another router to handle the load here. I might try that though.

Cheers!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!