What's new

am i double "NAT"ed ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Raga

Occasional Visitor
hi,am using 4g lte Jiofi 2 modem router usb tethered with Asus RT-ac68U running Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 to connect to WAN, there are two
1.jpg
problems am faced with connecting my cctv DVR to WAN 1.since the 4g modem doesn't have Bridge mode or dmz i cant get direct wan ip into Asus router,it has a DHCP assigned ip from 4g modem, secondly the wan ip shown in whatismyip.com is very different from the one shown in 4g modem's ipv4 from which am able to log into my asus from wan but unable to do the same in ip shown in whatismyip.com to avoid further confusions ive disabled Ipv6 in 4g modem, so i was wondering if there is a workaround to fix these problems like ssh script or something?
2.JPG
3.JPG
1.JPG

No you are not double NAT'd. You are actually Triple NAT'd.

NAT #1 - ASUS to JIO - 192.168.2.x --> 192.168.1.x
NAT #2 - JIO to ISP - 192.168.1.x --> 10.99.x.x
NAT #3 - ISP to Internet - 10.99.x.x --> 157.51.198.14

No you are not double NAT'd. You are actually Triple NAT'd.

NAT #1 - ASUS to JIO - 192.168.2.x --> 192.168.1.x
NAT #2 - JIO to ISP - 192.168.1.x --> 10.99.x.x
NAT #3 - ISP to Internet - 10.99.x.x --> 157.51.198.14

oh ok,is there a way to get the actual wan ip that is in the 4g router and syncing with any ddns client? because every time the device gets reb0ot the ipv4 also changes.

oh ok,is there a way to get the actual wan ip that is in the 4g router and syncing with any ddns client? because every time the device gets reb0ot the ipv4 also changes.
I assume you're talking about the 10.99.x.x address. There's no point trying to use that address for DDNS as it isn't your public IP address.

I assume you're talking about the 10.99.x.x address. There's no point trying to use that address for DDNS as it isn't your public IP address.

Yeah - most 4G/LTE operators will NAT IPv4, ties back into MobileIP and local address management inside their networks.

IPv6 - depends on the operator - ATT used to give me a public IPv6, but lately they've been giving out link locals...

Yes, the transition from local ipv4 10.141.x.x to wan ip 157.51.194.143. in actual i can connect to my dvr from wan using 10.141.x.x but not with 157.51.194.143,the problem is the ipv4 address changes every 4-6 hour even if the modem is not switched off or restarted, so i just need to find a way to extract this ipv4 address from the modem page and update it to any DDNS, so this may let me have a seamless connectivity with my dvr even if the address changes!

in actual i can connect to my dvr from wan using 10.141.x.x but not with 157.51.194.143,
I'm guessing that the 10.141.x.x address is what you were previously calling the 10.99.x.x?

How are you connecting to this address, through your mobile network? 10.x.x.x addresses are not routable over the public internet. Therefore it would be impossible to connect to this address from the wider internet (like an internet cafe in another town). The only way I can see this working is if you were connecting to the same local mobile network that the JioFi is connected to. In such a case you are not really connecting from the internet at all.

I'm guessing that the 10.141.x.x address is what you were previously calling the 10.99.x.x?

How are you connecting to this address, through your mobile network? 10.x.x.x addresses are not routable over the public internet. Therefore it would be impossible to connect to this address from the wider internet (like an internet cafe in another town). The only way I can see this working is if you were connecting to the same local mobile network that the JioFi is connected to. In such a case you are not really connecting from the internet at all.
oh sh*t srry i accidently copied the current address :p , and its a good point you make i only tried connecting from a jio network wan,which is my mobile and using LTE, i havent tried using any other operator, ill give it a try now!!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!