What's new

Am I supposed to be able to change device names in router UI?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GSA

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I assumed if I change device name in router UI for devices which got their IP address from DHCP I will be able to resolve that name on internal network (like I do with ISP provided router). It's not the case seems like. Is it a bug? Or it's in fact this $250 router is essentially a piece of expensive junk with ASUS provided ROM?

It's POS router if it does not provide the same service as free router provided by ISP. My Verizon router provided this functionality for last 10 years and all third party ROM will provide this. I just expected that top of the line ASUS router will provide the same, would not get it otherwise. It's like buying BMW instead of Toyota and then finding out it's only offers manual transmission. You just assume you pay more, you get better brand and at the very minimum it will provide the same service as you have with old router.

It's POS router if it does not provide the same service as free router provided by ISP. My Verizon router provided this functionality for last 10 years and all third party ROM will provide this. I just expected that top of the line ASUS router will provide the same, would not get it otherwise. It's like buying BMW instead of Toyota and then finding out it's only offers manual transmission. You just assume you pay more, you get better brand and at the very minimum it will provide the same service as you have with old router.

Does your provider's router also provide EVERYTHING ELSE Asuswrt provides?

Declaring it's a "POS" just because it lacks that one single feature YOU want is silly. Allowing to assign a device hostname is not that common among routers in fact, most routers will only let you assign an IP, not a hostname, as the vast majority of home users don't even know what DHCP or hostnames are.

This being said, this feature is possible with both Tomato or my firmware, so you have alternatives.

I want to stay with official firmware for stability issues. I don't know how unique my requirements are but every single model of router provided by Verizon in last 10 years had this feature, so assume they knew there is need for millions of users to have it. This router lacks very basic functionality I expected to have, unique or not

I want to stay with official firmware for stability issues. I don't know how unique my requirements are but every single model of router provided by Verizon in last 10 years had this feature, so assume they knew there is need for millions of users to have it. This router lacks very basic functionality I expected to have, unique or not

That made me smile. (stay with official firmware for stability issues).

That is the very reason all of us use RMerlin firmware (in addition to the other capabilities he provides).

I'm running Merlin firmware currently and for example Android app which was working on official ROM is partially is not working on Merlin's (device list is empty). So yes, I would consider official firmware probably less rich in functionality but more stable for everyday use.

I'm running Merlin firmware currently and for example Android app which was working on official ROM is partially is not working on Merlin's (device list is empty). So yes, I would consider official firmware probably less rich in functionality but more stable for everyday use.

Most likely, that small issue will be working in the next release. Either way, the fixes RMerlin incorporates are eventually used by Asus too, so if this issue isn't an android app issue, it will still come back to haunt you if you wanted the latest security patches on your router as they're available (and you should).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!