What's new

amtm amtm - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't believe this to be true, it seems to me that this is exactly the procedure that I had to follow one time when running the built-in format tool in amtm. I needed to first unmount the disk in the GUI in order for the format tool to complete the operation.

That is what I seem to remember too. But I haven't needed to use this workaround myself.

I don't believe this to be true, it seems to me that this is exactly the procedure that I had to follow one time when running the built-in format tool in amtm. I needed to first unmount the disk in the GUI in order for the format tool to complete the operation.

Maybe it’s intermittent issue then, i haven’t verified it myself, only repeating what lonelycoder told me he’d seen while developing his fd feature. It’s in the wiki just in case more people encounter it.

That is what I seem to remember too. But I haven't needed to use this workaround myself.

Neither, the one time I had the resource busy issue I didn’t even bother to unmount the disk, i just zero’d it and immediately rebooted. Then I had no problem using AMTM to fd it. Not the proper way to do it, maybe I was lucky it worked.

I have been using my RT-AC68U as a NAS with two hdd's connected. But recently I swapped them for SSDs, primarily because I am selling the HDDs to a friend.

I connected the new SSD to the USB port (both at USB 2.0), formatted the SSD using AMTM. The formatting is ext4 with journaling.

Questions:
1. Any long term issues / increased wear on the SSDs due to use on the USB port of the AC68U?
2. Is ext4 with journaling ok to use on the SSDs connected to the USB port? I need to use ext4 or something ext* since I need to install entware.

I have been using my RT-AC68U as a NAS with two hdd's connected. But recently I swapped them for SSDs, primarily because I am selling the HDDs to a friend.

I connected the new SSD to the USB port (both at USB 2.0), formatted the SSD using AMTM. The formatting is ext4 with journaling.

Questions:
1. Any long term issues / increased wear on the SSDs due to use on the USB port of the AC68U?
2. Is ext4 with journaling ok to use on the SSDs connected to the USB port? I need to use ext4 or something ext* since I need to install entware.

Of course, there will be increased wear. How big (capacity) are the SSD's? This is just normal wear and tear.

Windows or a supported Linux system will handle SSD's much better (because of TRIM), but this should still last a long time. :)

The bigger the disk, the more important to have journalling enabled. I wouldn't change this either. ;)

If the SSD's are bigger than 256GB, they should 'survive' their router duties, easily.

Questions:
1) There should be no issues or increased wear due to using them on the USB port. Assuming these are new-ish SSDs, wear is no longer an issue, mtbf is comparable to or better than spinning disks.
2) ext4 w/journaling is IMHO, the preferred option for HDDs & SSDs. Only thumb drives are debatable, but personally I use ext4 w/journaling for those as well, again presuming they are fairly recent devices.

Thank you for your quick responses. The SSDs are 500 GB SATA. I meant to ask is there going to be extra / high wear & tear in comparison to using on a desktop. But you guys guessed what I was trying to ask.

Sucks that TRIM is not supported. Any way to add TRIM support? Given that SSDs are getting cheaper, I guess more people think about connecting SSDs to the USB port of the RT-AC68U. ( I know many people on this forum will swear by the use of a dedicated NAS).

My use case is very simple. Write once, read multiple times. Its the dumping place for all pics & videos clicked on multiple phones and SLR. Primary SSD is backed to the 2nd SSD. As the SSD will get full, I will move the data to a 4x2TB RAID5 external drive (Only turned on rarely to back up).

Last edited:
Thank you for your quick responses. The SSDs are 500 GB SATA. I meant to ask is there going to be extra / high wear & tear in comparison to using on a desktop. But you guys guessed what I was trying to ask.

Sucks that TRIM is not supported. Any way to add TRIM support? Given that SSDs are getting cheaper, I guess more people think about connecting SSDs to the USB port of the RT-AC68U. ( I know many people on this forum will swear by the use of a dedicated NAS).

My use case is very simple. Write once, read multiple times. Its the dumping place for all pics & videos clicked on multiple phones and SLR. Primary SSD is backed to the 2nd SSD. As the SSD will get full, I will move the data to a 4x2TB RAID5 external drive (Only turned on rarely to back up).

I am one of those that will always recommend a NAS over USB connected drives to current routers! At least for sharing files. :)

The important 'thing' for me is, SSD's are getting much cheaper. And they will wear out faster when used on a router, but I think that is a tradeoff that is worthwhile for some (including me, but I just use it for the amtm + scripts, not for any shared files right now).

If TRIM can be enabled on our routers, that would be great. Otherwise, it won't change what I'm already doing now. ;)

For your use case, the drives are large enough that the sheer capacity will minimize to a high degree the effect that no TRIM will have on their lifespan. Still more than when used on a TRIM aware os, but not dangerously so (firmware has made great strides here). Just as long as it isn't the brand new quad cell SSD's!

Just updated amtm to the latest version, now I'm getting a syntax error when trying to enter into Stubby and it doesn't display the version. See output below:

The SNBForum Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu

SNBForum scripts
1 open Diversion v4.0.7
2 install dnscrypt installer
3 update Entware
4 update pixelserv-tls beta v2.2.1

5 open Skynet v6.8.4
6 open Stubby DNS v
7 install YazFi enhanced guest WiFi

amtm system tools
dc remove Disk check script dcl show log
fd run Format disk
rs remove Reboot scheduler Fri @ 18:03
sw delete Swap file /mnt/USBDrive

amtm options
e exit u update r remove a about

Enter option 6
/jffs/scripts/install_stubby.sh: line 308: syntax error: unexpected "("

Just updated amtm to the latest version, now I'm getting a syntax error when trying to enter into Stubby and it doesn't display the version. See output below:

SNBForum scripts
1 open Diversion v4.0.7
3 update Entware

5 open Skynet v6.8.4
6 open Stubby DNS v

amtm system tools
fd run Format disk

amtm options

Enter option 6
@Adamm, can you see if you can duplicate the issue? I'm on the road for the next few weeks and powered off my network before leaving the house. So, unable to remote in. Thanks!

SNBForum scripts
1 open Diversion v4.0.7
3 update Entware

5 open Skynet v6.8.4
6 open Stubby DNS v

amtm system tools
fd run Format disk

amtm options

Enter option 6

Redownload the installer manually.

Recommendation: The white letters on the green background are almost impossible to see with my old eyes. Black letters on the green background would be better. The white letters on the red background are OK. Thanks!

Recommendation: The white letters on the green background are almost impossible to see with my old eyes. Black letters on the green background would be better. The white letters on the red background are OK. Thanks!
I know what you mean, but are you talking about AMTM? In my AMTM I have white lettering on a black background and that combination I find excellent.

And I can’t see how to change the ANTM colour scheme, which makes me wonder: you’re not talking about the Diversion colour scheme are you? Open Diversion and enter ct.

Apologies if I’m mistaken.

I know what you mean, but are you talking about AMTM? In my AMTM I have white lettering on a black background and that combination I find excellent.

And I can’t see how to change the ANTM colour scheme, which makes me wonder: you’re not talking about the Diversion colour scheme are you? Open Diversion and enter ct.

Apologies if I’m mistaken.
Yes, the Diversion color scheme is picked up and used by AMTM, there is no separate color for AMTM that I know of.

Redownload the installer manually.
Thanks, that fixed the problem. Something probably happened during the firmware update from beta2 to beta3. Yet the USB drive didn't report any issues in diskcheck.

upload_2019-3-23_12-41-11.png

If Diversion is installed, change the theme there. If not then this is the default theme since a couple of versions back. It cannot be changed without Diversion.
Try change your terminal colors if PuTTY has such an option.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!